Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - spray painting guide

View Single Post
post #6 of (permalink) Old 28th June 2007
S.M.A.R.T.(y) Pants
Nominated 11 Times in 37 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 17
Thanked 2,467 Times in 1,851 Posts
You know, I often hear this, when I go out to give quotes - ridiculous.

Has the door been dented away from the edge of the panel, or is it at the edge?

Reason I ask, is that if it is just the edge, you can straighten the dent out by placing a phone book at the inside edge of the door frame and gently (but firmly) applying pressure on the door.

As far as paint damage, Noel is quite correct, spray painting part of a panel (especially silvers) is quite difficult - if the paint chips are quite small, I'd be inclined to use a thinned down touch-up paint applied with an open-ended paper clip.

There's no point in making the repair area larger than it has to be (it just gives you a bigger problem in trying to match/blend it in).

Can you post a picture of the damage? I can probably give you some specific advice.

You don't happen to live in Scotland do you? That's where my company operates.

This job should never be complete - the day I think I've done it all, is the day I resign.

S.M.A.R.T. Technician
Currently in VelSatisfied's garage:
2005 FIAT Ducato 2.8JTD LWB Gran Volume, 2000 Kawasaki ZZR 1100 D7 'fullpower' in black + full GIVI & KAPPA luggage, 2007 MB R-Class 320 CDi Sport LWB uprated by Brabus to 300Bhp don't know if there's a 155mph limiter - will be fun finding out! 2004 Mercedes Vaneo 1.7 CDi Ambiente 7-seater
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome