Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault - Clio - Mk 2 - Not running properly

View Single Post
post #55 of (permalink) Old 17th December 2014
Diamond member
Nominated 1 Time in 1 Post
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 1
Re: Renault - Clio - Mk 2 - Not running properly

I replaced the CTS but still running rubbish when hot and a lot of jerkiness in throttle response during the first 1/2 on the temp gauge while O2 sensor has just kicked in.

Removed the valve cover, rechecked and adjusted the tappets, added some liquid gasket to the new gasket, replaced the sparks and coil pack.

It's no longer having issues with stalling most of the time, it handles the throttle dampening well but, I'm still left with surges while it's warming up to around 40-50 degrees. I had noticed that the displays would dim and the back-light for the radio display would flicker on and off while I had the rear heater on whilst the engine was still warming up. This suggests to me an alternator/battery issue, possibly a damp leak, poorly charging (high drain) battery or bad connection somewhere, particularly because the new coil and plugs helped immensely (besides the vacuum leak fix from the valve cover gasket).

Got the oil leak(s!) fixed too: valve cover gasket, filter and pressure switch! (Yes, all three.)

I'm now on a mission to ensure the power from the alternator is adequate and to fix any electrical leaks. (Though might also be throttle sensors - FBW.) Once I am happy with this, I will be able to sell on a very realiable (now), quick, low mpg (45-55mpg) Clio to be proud of and get something with five doors and a little more oomph for the family. Though I should get the driver door handle and passenger visor bracket fixed first. Cosmetic mostly. Bloody pain remembering to wind down the window to get out - (interior door handle connected fine, it's the link to the lock mechanism and haven't had much time the last couple of weeks to get the door card off and fiddle there, only just got the engine handling almost sorted now). Updates regularly now guys, if you're not already bored to hell.

Currently in mah14681's garage:
2001 Clio Mk2 Ph1 1.2 16v Sport, 2001 Citroen Xsara Picasso 1.6 LX (95)
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome