Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - spray painting guide

View Single Post
post #12 of (permalink) Old 29th June 2007
S.M.A.R.T.(y) Pants
Nominated 11 Times in 37 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 17
Thanked 2,467 Times in 1,851 Posts
Hi there Fred, thanks for posting a picture (as they say, its worth a thousand words).

The best way to get that dent out, would be to use a round-headed hammer and a dolly - this kit can be purchased for around £20 from Machine Mart (if you wanted to tackle this yourself) - I have one of these kits myself, and can vouch for their suitability for this type of repair.

Essentially, if you were doing this yourself, hold the dolly firmly against the 'outside' of the dent, and gently tap the dent out from the inner edge, using one of the hammers with the rounded head. You need to avoid putting pressure on the cracked paint, as this will just flake off.

I would then clean up and treat the corroded areas with KURUST, leave a bit to dry, and apply some paint to fill in the gaps - I wouldn't spray this - it'll be a nightmare trying to get it to blend.

If you wanted a price from me; I'd charge 1.5 hours @ £40 per hour + £10 call out = £70 (less your discount of 15%) = £59.50.

Call it £55 plus a can of diet coke and a bacon roll! That includes all my materials (plus you get the remaining paint as a touch-up), you've probably priced that already.

I'm always realistic about the result that will be achieved - I'm not going to say it'll be 'perfect', but it will be as good as possible, and by keeping the repair area as small as possible - it will be far less noticeable.

Have a think about it - if you decide to do it yourself, let me know how you get on, and ask as many questions as you need.

This job should never be complete - the day I think I've done it all, is the day I resign.

S.M.A.R.T. Technician
Currently in VelSatisfied's garage:
2005 FIAT Ducato 2.8JTD LWB Gran Volume, 2000 Kawasaki ZZR 1100 D7 'fullpower' in black + full GIVI & KAPPA luggage, 2007 MB R-Class 320 CDi Sport LWB uprated by Brabus to 300Bhp don't know if there's a 155mph limiter - will be fun finding out! 2004 Mercedes Vaneo 1.7 CDi Ambiente 7-seater

Last edited by VelSatisfied; 29th June 2007 at 08:16 AM. Reason: miscalculation
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome