Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Laguna I - Phase 1 - Heating and Cooling - Heating Problems 2.2D Engine

View Single Post
post #8 of (permalink) Old 9th January 2006
Banned User
Curveball Champion
Nominated 9 Times in 16 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 10
Thanked 3,511 Times in 2,879 Posts
Originally Posted by Bobbin
correct me if i am wrong ,surley the bottom rad hose is supposed to get hot isn't it ?
This is a bit long because I was at the time, trying to prove a point to myself.
I had a 2.2 RTDT too from 1998 to earlier on this year I did have some coolant problems with it too.

The one thing that always amazed even when the car and coolant was running OK was "In weather like we're having now" no matter how far, or fast I drove, the bottom hose was always, STONE COLD!! I just couldn't believe this!!
I drove on the M6 from Walsall to Manchester and back none stop heater working OK, got out of the car got straight under the bonnet with the engine still running I felt the bottom hose. It was STONE COLD the top hose was hot, the heater pipes were hot, but that bottom hose felt like the car hadn't been run all day and come to think of it all freakin night too!!!

I was absolutely convinced there was a problem. The following weekend I put the caravan on the back about 18.5 CWT I drove from home to the first service on the M / way around 20 miles the last part uphill for maybe 1.5 miles I stopped got my head under the bonnet double 4 time

The bottom hose, It was bloody hot now!!!!!! Thank Gawd for that. I was an happy bunny again

You will find it gets hot in the summer especially in traffic but forget it if your on the move in the winter becaause mine was just the same.

OK the heater, I'm pretty sure I've seen somewhere that on Renaults the coolant should be changed after a two year period.
(Question) Did I ever do this?
No, I didn't. I think I left it about 5 years untill, well would you believe it, the heater became bloody rubbish

Renault wanted about 600 quid to replace the heater mattrix I told them go bog off, I flushed bled, flushed bled 3 or 4 times with little difference.
Then right out of the blue I found another bleed nipple YEAH!!!!
This was hidden away under a load of pipes and plumbing in the top hose Mmmmm I have 3 bleed nipples now, one in front by the Rad, another coming out of the heater on the same side as the air cleaner, and now another one in the top hose.

Started bleeding it again working from the lowest bleed nipple upwards.
BTW lots of air came out of the one in the top hose, took the car for a drive, and found JC, its getting hot in here now. Problem solved
Currently in hondo's garage:
1.6 Valve-Matic SR. Red hot, toasty feet.

Last edited by hondo; 10th January 2006 at 08:27 PM.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome