Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Scenic - Engines - Cutting Out On Idle

View Single Post
post #6 of (permalink) Old 1st July 2007
Veteran Member
Technical Supremo
Nominated 2 Times in 20 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 18
Thanked 1,103 Times in 942 Posts
Here we go.

The Idle Air Control Valve is shown by the yellow arrow....

It's very easy to get to on my Lag 1,but I suspect the Scenic is a little more awkward as the engine is set back under the scuttle panel.

With the ignition off,unclip the wire connector and undo the two fixing screws.(mine were philips headed,but they could be torx screws on yours.

This is what the unit looks like when it's removed...

There is a plunger on the end which moves in and out to allow air to pass by it when the ECU senses the engine needs to idle.There is a tapered end on it which seals against the seat in the inlet manifold.Dirt and carbon deposits can build up here and cause the seal to leak.In some circumsatnces the plunger can stick,or the electric motor that works it can pack up,meaning the engine won't idle.

You can gently clean the taper and the seat with a piece of soft cloth,but make sure you don't drop anything through the hole into the inlet manifold.....

The seat is marked in green...

Re-fit the valve and see if it makes any difference!.Cleaning can sometimes help,and if not,you haven't lost anything.

I'd rather push my Alfa than drive a BMW....
Currently in Lagdti's garage:
2004 Saab 9-5 HOT Aero and a 2001 Audi A3 1.8 Turbo
The Following User Says Thank You to Lagdti For This Useful Post:
johnr551 (6th August 2011)
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome