Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Advice on Scenic II's

View Single Post
post #2 of (permalink) Old 27th December 2014
Honorary Yorkshireman just in Derbyshire
Nominated 19 Times in 15 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 5
Thanked 1,694 Times in 1,297 Posts
Re: Advice on Scenic II's

Answers in between Q's
Originally Posted by tiger750 View Post
Hello, I have been running a Scenic 1 (1.4 16v ) for many years and over 100 000miles and I've been very impressed/happy with it.
It however getting a little old and I would like my wife to be driving something newer. I will keep the old one for me.
Don't ask me why but I like Renaults, I have test driven Fords ( souless ), Citroen ( feel cheap ), Japanese ( Bland ) and have always come back to Renault, for me they just see to have that 'Je ne sais quoi'.
I have always liked the Scenic II's but realise they have a few weak spots ( handbrake, electric windows, dashboards, keycards? ) but if I spot a good I'd give one a shot.

I have 2000 to spend and from doing my research it looks like a decent one can be had for that money, my questions are.......
Depends where you live an 06 / 07 can be had but not pristine
1. Are they as bad as a lot of people would have you belive?
NO as long as you buy right, a dry high miler is better than a leaky garage queen
2. I need around 40mpg for the school run, our 1.4 Scenic 1 manages that so I'd like at least that, we are sedate drivers!
We found the 1.4 underpowered & less economical than the 1.6, The MK2 is heavier but MUCH better, we get 35MPG in this weather.
3. What should I be looking out for?
Two good keycards, Cambelt, waterpump & Dephaser done, Dry passenger floor, all windows, sunroof, parking sensors, etc working, clutch done if high miler
4. Older low miler or newer higher miler?
Doesn't matter, K4* engine easily good for 180K, I aimed for 70K, due to dash failures, one can't be sure anyway. Used the pedal rubbers wear to assess use
5. Was the post 2006 facelift a better car?
Had an updated Dephaser & cruise control
any advice would be great.
Try to buy privately, where the seller knows FULL history. We bought from a trader, negotiated down due to the faults, 1300 for an 05 plate, slightly battle scarred, but tidy, I did all the jobs to give it a service history, been OK for last 15K miles. Probably the best time of year to buy.
Mk2's are fine if kept dry & serviced regularly. EPB's fail usually due to neglect (lubing cables, excessive pad wear) or damp.

Regards Tim,
You are only young once, but you can be immature forever
Give a n00b the answer he will be learn for a day; show him the search button, he will learn for life.
Currently in Nottnoc's garage:
2008 Scenic Mk2 Dynamique 1.6 K4M 782. 1998 BMW K1100LTSE, 1994 MotoGuzzi Caifornia 3 LAPD, 1972 Norton Commando, 2010 Trafic SL29 M9R782 115, Lots of tools, Camping Gear & Booze
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome