Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Advice on Scenic II's

View Single Post
post #7 of (permalink) Old 27th December 2014
Honorary Yorkshireman just in Derbyshire
Nominated 19 Times in 15 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 5
Thanked 1,689 Times in 1,292 Posts
Re: Advice on Scenic II's

The Gumtree ad does seem a good deal. My daughter bought an 07 Scenic (without Panoramic Sunroof) from a large dealer in Derby a few months ago, Windscreen price 3000 with FSH inc cambelt change.
Re Dephaser, makes sense to have it changed & the waterpump too, as it's little extra cost on top of the cambelt. However, if the upgraded dephaser is as good as it should be, then the original may well outlast two cambelts, I.E 10 years or 140,000 miles.
So, main dealer at 3k or independant at 1800? A lot depends on whether you can do the mechanicking or need to pay an engineer.
Re Mileage, hence my comment on pedal rubbers.
Insist on seeing the Mot, photograph the number, then visit VOSA website to get the history, inc mileages recorded since the new system came in.
Here is the entry for one year of mine:-
Date of test: 14/02/2009 Certificate issued (Pass) Odometer reading: 541 Miles
Test number: 310905349004
Test station name: HALFORDS AUTOCENTRE
Test station number: 55267 Test station telephone number: 01789 292355
Test class: IV
Test expiry date: 01/03/2010
Advisory Notice issued
Front Brake pad(s) wearing thin (3.5.1g)
Nearside Rear 3mm Tyre worn close to the legal limit (4.1.E.1)
Offside Rear 3mm Tyre worn close to the legal limit (4.1.E.1)

Note the mileage, It actually drops TWICE during it's life but the second indicates a scrapyard speedo was fitted. Now reading 40K, trader advertised as approx 70K with which I concurred.
But at least when I handed over the gold, I knew as much as I could about the car. At the price I paid there was up to 400 below book to spend bringing it up to snuff.
Unfortunately, the keycards were on the same ring & proximity type. Therefore either would operate the car. It wasn't till we seperated them into his & hers, that I realised that one of them didn't match the car at all. 160 spent just to get a new card & delete the info for the erstwhile one.
I hope this diatribe saves you grief & money, after all, Knowledge is power. So many buy a POS first, then hit the forum for help. You are doing it the right way round.
There are some honourable traders out there, just takes time to find them.
The Mk2, I find, is just like the Mk1 Ph2 but does everything (almost) much better, steering, handling, ride, seats. SWMBO likes it too, once she got used to the EPB auto release & a stupid handle by the door instead of the lever inbetween the seats, not to mention the auto headlights & wipers.

Regards Tim,
You are only young once, but you can be immature forever
Give a n00b the answer he will be learn for a day; show him the search button, he will learn for life.
Currently in Nottnoc's garage:
2008 Scenic Mk2 Dynamique 1.6 K4M 782. 1998 BMW K1100LTSE, 1994 MotoGuzzi Caifornia 3 LAPD, 1972 Norton Commando, 2010 Trafic SL29 M9R782 115, Lots of tools, Camping Gear & Booze
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome