Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - The Vel Satis Club, for all things Vel....

View Single Post
post #86 of (permalink) Old 3rd July 2007
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
To Southern France & back

Just returned from Southern France (Perpignan) which has been my first long run in my VS. The journey down (over 2 days) had the car ladden with 3 passengers and as much 'stuff' as I could squeeze into every corner, plus a bed on the roof bars. Interestingly, although not in a rush did not want to take-off with the wing effect on the roof the car returned 37.1mpg at average of 54.5mph for 839 miles. On the return journey with just me as driver and a full boot (mostly bottles!) I got 35.7mpg at an average of 55.1mph over 821 miles. I think the consumption was due largely to prevailing wind on the way down and more of a gale (headwind) on the return leg.
The return journey I did in a single hit, and apart from being a bit lonely it was not at all tiring with one stint of almost 6hours, not to mention my bladder! Which says a lot about the comfort of the car and also about the lack of traffic on French roads, so I think one could say the VS was truly at home.
I also recommend using the 'new' 200 mile motorway from Clermont-Ferrand to Pezenas which incorporates Norman Fosters viaduct at Millau (the only toll is for the viaduct and that is 7.00 or less depending on time of year) its a wonderful drive.
Hope to repeat the trip again, and again, but with company and to take in other parts of France later this year.
Currently in tonycanderson's garage:
2003 Renault Vel Satis V6 3.0dci, 2006 Peugeot 1007 Sport & 2006 Citroen C2 1.4HDi
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome