Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Ecu/obd

Thread: Ecu/obd
View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 4th July 2007 Thread Starter
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0

Apologies for the long post and I hope this is the correct place to post this message. This question is reference my first post in the “Welcome to” area. The Car in question is an 03 plate Clio 1.2 16V ( Wife’s Car )

My question is about ECU /OBD. I consider myself to be a slightly above average DIY’er with Cars. There is nothing that I worry about having to work on a Car my hobby being restoring Old Cars ( See ). I realise that more modern cars have a higher level of sophistication but an Engine is an Engine and a Gearbox is a Gearbox etc the main differences are fuel monitoring etc that is controlled by software. I do have an understanding of the principles involved, i.e. sensors monitoring different areas of engine performance so adjusting fuel input etc. ( Should the Lambda Sensor be called an Oxygen Sensor ? ). These sensors are connected to the ECU allowing the ECU software to alter fuel etc. I also have a good understanding on the operation of a CPU that is in an ECU and know that there is an internal memory that stores information like past faults/problems ( OBD ). My question is ( at last ) is software obtainable that can be loaded into a Laptop that “talks” to the ECU and OBD and will show fault codes etc. There are a number of places ( E-Bay ) that sell discs but how do I know what one to get. There seems to be different types. I suspect that a majority of them are basic types that only give a limited range of results, I would like software that allows detailed information and the possibility of resetting and adjusting information. I know about adjusting software and the problems it would cause if the ECU of a Car was altered but would like to access the ECU when the engine was running correctly so if/when there was a problem I could check with previous settings and also ask the OBD for any stored results/faults. Maybe what I am asking is not possible to obtain and if it is will be quite expensive but it would be nice to obtain software for me to load into a Laptop that will enable me to do the above at a “reasonable” cost. Once again sorry for the long post and many thanks for your time reading the above and thanks for any replies.

Don Kennedy ( Plymouth Devon ).
Currently in Don2138's garage:
2011 Clio iMusic 1.2 & 2003 Clio 1.2 Expession
  5 Lastest Threads by Don2138
Thread Forum Last Poster Replies Views Last Post
Link Deleting General Chat HeatherJ 4 95 30th September 2016 07:47 AM
03 Plate Clio Wiper problem. Electronics madnoel10 5 1507 22nd December 2012 04:53 PM
Clio D4F ECU Electronics diddlywagger 3 2571 9th July 2012 12:45 PM
Clio 11 Plate. 1.2 iMusic Oil Filter Engines Don2138 1 1442 2nd February 2012 01:02 PM
Thread / Screen Size ? General Chat Recycled Scenic 1 1030 9th April 2011 06:32 AM
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome