Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Scenic - Fire risk - Door mirror control

View Single Post
post #107 of (permalink) Old 4th July 2007
Anthony Smith
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Originally Posted by fireball scenic View Post
Cheers Sporty,

I'm in agreement with you. Normally the fuse would go and hey presto you would start looking for the fault. I know that a few owners have said that the wires are piano string tight on their Scenics. The main questions are: What was the fault that started the fire, and secondly why didn't the protection means provide adequate protection. We've never replaced any fuses in the vehicle and so they should be at the ratings the manufacturer set out. I wanted to get my hands on the electrical schematics for the car so I could trace the wiring out myself (Being an Electrical Engineer) and see what the protective fuse is rated at (The mirror cables are very thin cross-section). Haven't managed to get a set of schematics yet.
After much searching, unless I've got it wrong, there is no fuse for the 'Electric mirror adjustment' only a fuse for the heaters, so this will explain why the fuse doesn't blow. (Unless someone can tell me differerent and it is on a fuse that does something else, but the hand book doesn't suggest that it is like this)
So my next port of call is to find which wire has the feed to the switch and put a fuse in this feed. Once I find which wire it is I'll let you all know.
For my
Currently in Anthony Smith's garage:
2002 Renault Megane Scenic RX4 2.0 16V
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome