Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - What I hate about driving...

View Single Post
post #304 of (permalink) Old 4th July 2007
Platinum member
Nominated 0 Times in 7 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 8
Originally Posted by brett1990 View Post
it depends what u define as a sensible speed, when i pass ye i'll do 35-40 in 30 zones as general traffic does but if the learner is going 30mph then you cant complain can you?
I had a hunch I'd need that flameproof suit

Nope. I can't complain and I wouldn't. Not about anyone keeping to the speed limit, even if I wanted to go faster.

I'm talking about students who obviously don't yet have enough confidence to drive at the speed limit. I'm talking about the ones who feel the need to bring the car almost to a complete standstill before making a left turn into a side road. I'm talking about the ones that don't just stall the car at the traffic lights, but who obviously panic so badly when it happens that they can't get the damned thing going again.

As I said before, I suspect some are still picking up the real basics of controlling the car. You can familiarise yourself with these aspects of driving on a quiet residential street or even a car park. So why do some instructors insist on taking these real novices out on busy roads at peak times? Let them build up a bit of confidence, THEN chuck them in at the deep end
Currently in Horatio's garage:
2010 Laguna III Initiale.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome