Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Driveshaft problem on MOT?

View Single Post
post #3 of (permalink) Old 5th July 2007
Platinum member
Nominated 0 Times in 7 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 8
Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
1. Add new glip and grease the driveshaft 75
2. Replace the whole driveshaft 350

They said if the driveshaft has been damaged then i may experince a judder when setting off or a noise when turning the wheel full lock.
I'm surprised they've diagnosed a potentially damaged driveshaft on the basis that there *might* be something wrong, with no actual symptoms. Yes, there's a risk that contaminants will have found their way into the CV joint, but it should be possible to just replace the joint rather than the whole shaft. Still, if they're talking about 350 including labour, then maybe they are just talking about the joint rather than the shaft.

If it's the outer joint (nearest to the wheel) and it's not showing and signs of making a noise when driven slowly forwards and backwards on both full left and full right lock, then I would say it's not much of a gamble to just put a new clip on. There's always potential for it to be the wrong decision and I may be proved wrong further down the line, but I'd pay 75 now for something that's almost a sure-fire fix rather than 350 for a guaranteed one.
Currently in Horatio's garage:
2010 Laguna III Initiale.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome