Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Scenic - Fire risk - Door mirror control

View Single Post
post #112 of (permalink) Old 5th July 2007
fireball scenic
Diamond member
Nominated 0 Times in 1 Post
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Thanks for looking at the circuits guys. I've just got back from witnessing the inspection by Renault and this is what they've found:-

The black wire (negative) connection to the terminal on the mirror control switch was exactly where the fire started. It looks to have been caused by arcing through a bad / high resistance connection. In fact the terminal had actually completely fused itself together.

Although any terminal can melt as a result of arcing, what puzzles me is how the negative connection to this switch can arc when the switch is not in use (i.e. no current path / open switch contact)?

The technical expert at Renault will submit his findings and then it's down to them and VOSA to decide if they will issue a recall. I will continue to pursue it with them.

One thing all you Renault owners can do (and it only takes a minute) is to pop the switch out and just visually inspect it to see if there are any cables in the connector getting hot / melting - a good sniff of the connector will reveal a lot (A smell similar to TCP or disinfectant is not a good sign).

Well where to from here?????? I've done everything I can to warn people and will continue to do so my only advice is - don't leave your kids / pets in the car unattended at all!

Thanks to the administrators and everyone for their help on this - how do I go about making a donation to this excellent site to keep it running? Keep this alert posted for as long as possible!!!!!!

Cheers - Dave
Currently in fireball scenic's garage:
2006 Grand Scenic II DCi130 Dynamique
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome