Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Clio MK1 drive shafts

View Single Post
post #2 of (permalink) Old 8th January 2015
Diamond member
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Re: Clio MK1 drive shafts

I changed the front bearings on a Mk1 Clio a couple of years ago. I seem to remember that the drive shafts needed a considerable bit of joggling to get everything back in place. I'm sure one in particular took some head scratching and a couple of cups of coffee as well as a minute or two of panic!

I'd have thought the driveshaft design would depend on the gearbox position. My RHD Clio had the gearbox on the passenger side.

My Haynes manual seems to suggest that the inner joints are held on the spline by circlips or some form of positive lock. Its not very clear that this applies to the RC490 type though.

The Haynes manual says the rollers can fall off the tripod. Can't remember this happening with me but it looks like they'd slide back on easily enough.

Look at the inner gaiter. Are there any marks or tide marks caused by dirt that would indicate its out of position? My Haynes manual describes two types of joint, GI62 and RC490. They look different from the outside. From what I can see only the GI62 type has some kind of retaining plate to stop the joint separating.

Does the driveshaft turn when the engine pulley is turned by hand with the clutch engaged?

Splines pick up amazingly easily and the spline at the hub might not be properly engaging. I'd use a very fine needle file and remove any burrs. Is it possible to check that the spline at the hub fits in its correct position?

You mentioned that you turned the steering wheel. I don't see how that would affect the position of the hub unless the track rod is still connected to the hub. If its still connected it might be preventing the hub from returning to its correct position?

Don't know if this will help. You've maybe sorted it already.
Currently in o4abiggerhammer's garage:
no clio :-(
The Following User Says Thank You to o4abiggerhammer For This Useful Post:
John R (8th January 2015)
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome