Independent Renault Forums banner

Renault Modus recommendation

5K views 11 replies 3 participants last post by  53scenic 
#1 ·
Good morning!

I am considering a Renault Modus and would be interested to know if anyone has any recommendations for the best automatic version to go for - Thanks in advance for any advice
53scenic

G
#2 ·
Renault Modus recommendation - Greensides opinion

Hi 53scenic

Until our recent 'little bump' while on holiday (http://www.renaultforums.co.uk/general-forum/23360-modus-saved-us-serious-injury.html) we had a 2006 Modus 1.5dCi 86bhp with the QuickShift 'box. Overall, we were more than happy with the performance, economy and comfort of the car. I can't compare with other automatic versions but hope this helps with your decision.

You will probably realise that the QuickShift is not a true automatic, but an electronically controlled manual with a clutch rather than a torque converter. It can be driven as an automatic with the electronics taking care of the shifts when required, or as a sequential manual box.

I found that, in automatic mode, it occasionally seems to 'forget' to shift up, particularly from 2nd to 3rd, but this is easily rectified by a manual shift.

Driven in manual mode, it will not allow changes which could potentially damage the engine (revs would be too low or too high after the shift).

Starting off is as simple as pressing the accelerator and the car moves off. There is a very slight delay before drive is taken up, but you will soon get used to this and allow for it. For a hill start, it is essential to use either the handbrake, or left-foot brake, as the car will roll back otherwise (I don't know if a 'normal' automatic is the same?). Again you soon get used to it.

The biggest problem has been getting used to driving a manual again! But, that is just until the replacement Modus arrives sometime in September (I'ts another 1.5dCi QuickShift).

You will see from the above link that the Modus is a very strong car if the worst happens.

Again, I hope this helps.
Richard.

G
#4 ·
Sorry to Hijack the thread.

How are you finding life with the QuashQai Greenside ?

Regards

ottoman

Hi Otto,

Too Big:d - it won't fit in the garage!

Seriously, it's very nice to drive and very economical - getting about 50mpg commuting - it's the 1.5dCi 106bhp with a six speen manual box. We haven't done any long trips (Grace is still bruised!) but i'm sure it would be comfortable. Performance is more than acceptable, especially given the size and weight.

I think Wylam Garage (Hexham) will want it back soon though - then I'll get to try something else!

Regards
Richard.

#6 ·
Thanks Greenside - very helpful info, and glad the Modus took the crash so well.

I am particularly interested in an autobox because my wife intends to pass her test in an automatic. I have a manual Scenic at present but feel a Scenic automatic would be a bit large for a first time car.

The Modus appeals because it looks like a scaled down version! and still has many clever storage holds.

Thanks for your help.

#7 ·
I know there aren't that many of them around yet,but we get very,very few posts from Modus owners asking for help with problems on their cars,so they do seem to be reliable.

They have also been awarded a 'Best Buy' award from one of the major car magazines(What Car i think....).

G
#8 ·
My wife has an oasis (although it's a manual) the boot shoot is handy in restricted space as you don’t have to open the whole hatch to put things in the boot, although the opening could be a little larger. The rear seat arrangement is great as our eldest daughter has really long legs, so fitting her into the previous Clio was becoming more and more difficult

#10 ·
The Modus is a very good driver very quite in either diesel or petrol, The 1.5 diesel is the pick of the bunch I feel.

Very comfortable as are most Renaults, All the controls fall easy to hand, centre dials can be difficult to read compared to the Scenic II but you soon adjust to it, not sure about the shoot thing in the hatch.

I personally don't like the looks but apart from that a good car to drive in it's sector .

Regards

Ottoman

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.