Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Clio 2 - Bonnet Catch Failures

View Single Post
post #743 of (permalink) Old 11th July 2007
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Send a message via MSN to mickeykav
Aaron, a good point. Basically, I'm looking at the Consumer Protection Act, which states:

"Subject to the following provisions of this section, there is a defect in a product for the purposes of this Part if the safety of the product is not such as persons generally are entitled to expect; and for those purposes ***8220;safety***8221;, in relation to a product, shall include safety with respect to products comprised in that product and safety in the context of risks of damage to property, as well as in the context of risks of death or personal injury."

(a) the manner in which, and purposes for which, the product has been marketed, the use of any mark in relation to the product and any instructions for, or warnings with respect to, doing or refraining from doing anything with or in relation to the product;

(b) what might reasonably be expected to be done with or in relation to the product; and

(c) the time when the product was supplied by its producer to another;

If we make the assumption that the latch failed because of poor maintenance (which I don't agree with), then it was the responsibility of Renault through the manual to inform me of this activity - as in part (A) of the law above.

To reinforce this argument, I have received the letter inviting me for a free service now (after the incident), which included an 'Addendum' for the manual, which tells the owner to maintain and lubricate the bonnet latch.

Had I received this earlier, or it had been in the manual, I would never have found myself doing 60mph in the outside lane of the dual carraigeay with the bonnet stuck over the windscreen:

Join the Clio Action Group to make contact people who have experienced the Clio Bonnet Issue
Currently in mickeykav's garage:
Clio 2 - Extreme
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome