Andy, I am posting the result of your advice and a nice sunny day.
Indeed WD40 seemed to do the trick. A few squirts, patience then a lever here, tap there and a tug everywhere finally got the buggered bit of the
vv out. My goodness, what a chuffin state it was in.
I also utilised the old dentist type de-scaler to hack the carbon out. The chamber between the
vv and inlet manifold was very nearly blocked up with cack. I hoovered a wad out as well as hacked it out. I could not believe the amount that was in there. I also noticed that what may connect the two pieces of
vv together are the 3 flange-type rivets that are part of the 3 bolt holes. Not exactly mega secure especially after gawd knows how many years of carbo,heat and gas!!
Anyway, cleaned it all up and did the throttle vv for good measure. Put it all back. Test drive to Hayling Island.Checked MPG. 48 at 70. 50 at 60.! Will see how that goes, but at least the old Lag has a nice new, clean
vv now. LOL (177.5K now). I did take some pictures to enclose with this, but I think I may have set camera with too many pixies. May try again sometime, but many thanks again for your assisstance. Heres to the next snag to sort.