Hi guys.... been a long time... lifes been hectic
And just when I'm looking to get it straight again, the car's playing up. Same time as the bike has also gone wrong. Argh.
I'm losing water from somewhere, most likely on the driver's side, but I haven't yet had chance to get the undertray off and have a look. I think it's something on the order of 1 or 2 litres a day, or it was until I shoved some radweld in the expansion tank. Not been long enough since to check it again, but it seems to have slowed. The drippings are coming out a little oily, but I'm not sure if that's just because it's running off the tray which is greasy as hell.
filler cap and dipstick are both "clean", as was the coolant before I dosed it up.
Is it most likely to be the water pump / gasket, or are there any pipes that run around that side or are positioned such that leakage from them would end up on the right of the car rather than the left?
Anyway, the thing's been living on borrowed time for at least a year now, and has been thrashed quite hard over the last couple tankfulls. I think it's probably going to hit 100k miles just before the next MOT then fail it spectacularly (and, it's officially a writeoff...). Plus it doesn't fit in the new garage very well, particularly as I'm trying to cram a motorbike and a pushbike in there at the same time.
Main problem with this is, it's looking like the Meg was actually both a rather slyph-like and well specced car... Anything I can see to replace it is larger, slower, and worse equipped.
Soooooooooooooooooooo... collective brain of the interweb... what should I aim for once it's given a terminal diagnosis? (I'll be booking it for MOT as early as possible in the allowed period to give me time to hunt)
* 90 ~ 110hp or equivalent to give similar performance (115~125mph / roughly 10s 0-60 bracket).
* 5 doors if at all possible.
* Aircon, ABS, power steering, leccy windows & mirrors, front foglamps, trip computer, sunroof - in rapidly descending order of essentialness.
* No longer or wider than the Megane (4.13 x 1.70 metres), preferably a fair bit less (at least a couple inches thinner, and 6" shorter) so I can get my bike either alongside and/or behind it more easily.
* RELIABILITY... and economy
Diesels are back on the cards since having a very positive experience with a Transit TDCi recently.
* Decent interior room - because if this wasn't a problem I'd just get a C1 and be done with it. Want to preserve as much cabin space as possible without any exterior bloat. A current-gen 5dr Megane wouldn't even FIT in this garage by ITSELF!
* Sub 10 years old would be good... but I'm unlikely to afford anything newer than 2005~06.
(Currently it does actually fit, but not on its stand when up the side, and I can't get the up & over garage door shut when it's behind. A new door would be marginally cheaper than a new car, but if I'm changing it anyway then that's a potential £500+ saving on not needing to do the other job.)
Out of everything the size is the one thing I can't compromise on. I can hustle slower cars and get roofracks for smaller ones, find workarounds for missing kit and hypermile gas guzzlers... but I can't turn the garage into a tardis. The bike HAS to live in there overnight (as its insured as "garaged" and can easily be carted off by someone with a flatbed trailer and a set of sturdy bolt cutters), and the local residents association gets ratty if cars are left out front of the flats too often.
PS if this is the wrong section feel free to move it, but it didn't feel like it really "fit" anywhere in particular.