Don't they want your custom for next year then? The following is my opinion:
First of all, bear in mind that insurers may be open to negotiation on any premium they offer you.
I agree that it is up to you to decide whether you want to declare your new ICE to them so it is fully covered, or keep things the way they are and recover only the standard policy allocation if it is ever necessary to do so. Read your policy and find out what they are currently covering (anything between £500 and £1,500 is possible)and decide whether the difference
between the maximum included cover and the value of your new DVD thingie is worth £80 per annum to insure.... sounds unlikely to me (sorry! no pun intended). How long does your policy have to run? Can you work out what a full year's additional premium is? (Use the proportion method as in: £80
ays of cover remaining, what X:365days. You multiply £80 by 365 then divide the product by the number of days left before the policy expires.)
More importantly and for the benefit of all the 10,000+ members of this forum, what is the name of this company that demands that amount from a captive client?
Don't worry about naming them, since you are only giving factual information for dissemination by the rest of us.
It is important to state whether you are claims-free or if their price is because you live in a risky area or have suffered losses in the past. This is because we must be fair to them as well.
It may help you if you refer them to this thread when asking them to reconsider their offer.
P.S. Opinions expressed are not necessarily those of the management.