Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Modus recommendation

View Single Post
post #2 of (permalink) Old 11th July 2007
Thumbs up Renault Modus recommendation - Greensides opinion

Hi 53scenic

Until our recent 'little bump' while on holiday ( we had a 2006 Modus 1.5dCi 86bhp with the QuickShift 'box. Overall, we were more than happy with the performance, economy and comfort of the car. I can't compare with other automatic versions but hope this helps with your decision.

You will probably realise that the QuickShift is not a true automatic, but an electronically controlled manual with a clutch rather than a torque converter. It can be driven as an automatic with the electronics taking care of the shifts when required, or as a sequential manual box.

I found that, in automatic mode, it occasionally seems to 'forget' to shift up, particularly from 2nd to 3rd, but this is easily rectified by a manual shift.

Driven in manual mode, it will not allow changes which could potentially damage the engine (revs would be too low or too high after the shift).

Starting off is as simple as pressing the accelerator and the car moves off. There is a very slight delay before drive is taken up, but you will soon get used to this and allow for it. For a hill start, it is essential to use either the handbrake, or left-foot brake, as the car will roll back otherwise (I don't know if a 'normal' automatic is the same?). Again you soon get used to it.

The biggest problem has been getting used to driving a manual again! But, that is just until the replacement Modus arrives sometime in September (I'ts another 1.5dCi QuickShift).

You will see from the above link that the Modus is a very strong car if the worst happens.

Again, I hope this helps.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome