Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Ripped off by a renault mechanic, advice please

View Single Post
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11th July 2007
Technical Supremo

Nominated 16 Times in 67 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 28
Thanked 5,200 Times in 4,712 Posts
Hi Blueboy - from what I understand of your situation there are two apects to your dilemma.
1. You made a contract (call it a deal if you like) with a private individual to supply goods and to date that contract has not been fulfilled and without witnesses or something in writing to prove their was a deal you appear to be in a very weak position. If you can prove the mechanic you dealt with was acting during his employers time or on behalf of his/her employer you may have a case of vicarious liability whereby the employer becomes liable for the actions of his/her employees. In your case I think his employers are liable as you were given permission to leave your vehicle on their premises and as it sat there for 2 weeks they should have been aware of the situation.
2. Renault's policy for the issue of security devices and security codes is that the purchaser must provide proof that they are the registered keeper of the vehicle and substaniate this with photographic ID - if you can prove Renault provided this information without such proof then thye are in breach of their own guidelines. Afterall a thief could walk into any Renault dealer order up a new card and steal your car.
I suggest you seek legal advice before going any further and just hope it's not going to be a case of Caveat Emptor (Buyer beware)
You could try informing Renault UK that one of there dealers has obtained a key for your car without your permission - and although you have no guarantee of getting your money back it may bring some pressure to bear on the dealer
Currently in madnoel10's garage:
Honda Civic 1.4l

Last edited by madnoel10; 11th July 2007 at 05:55 PM.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome