Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Keyless entry advice appreciated

View Single Post
post #9 of (permalink) Old 13th July 2007 Thread Starter
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0

Originally Posted by Horatio View Post
Yep, it definitely sounds like the system is faulty. If the car is auto-locking (hear the motors and see the lights flash) then it should not unlock unless a keycard is in range. For a minute I thought that maybe there could be a spare keycard in the car, but in that case, it wouldn't lock in the first place.

I presume it doesn't auto-unlock if you lock it with the button. This should deactivate the hands-free system until the next time the start/stop button is pressed (well if it's anything like the Laguna system.)

My money's on it being a fault with the UCH. Get it sorted while it's still under warranty, as it'll be big bucks once the warranty expires.

A second keycard in the car seemed to make sense, so I phoned the dealer to check whether there were 2 keycards supplied. No, definitely just the one I was given. On that basis, I booked it in to be looked at under warranty. Went out tonight and let the wife have a go at driving. Nice sunny evening, so down comes the passenger-side sun visor. Humm, I think to myself, why is the vanity mirror cover not closing properly? Yup, you guessed it - hidden behind the cover was the second elusive keycard that definitely had NOT been supplied. So that explains the unlocking without a keycard, and why the handsfree locking failed to work on most occasions. I'm still mystified as to how the car managed to lock itself a couple of times when I took one of the keycards with me.

Anyway, I shall be cancelling my booked service visit, and enjoying the fact that the car now notices when I walk away! Thanks for the helpful suggestions anyway, and feel free to have a laugh at my expense .....
Currently in adhall's garage:
2004 Grand Espace 2.2 dCi
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome