Independent Renault Forums banner

1990 trafic 2.5D camper with Gear Rattle (+ hello!)

4K views 20 replies 8 participants last post by  873453 
#1 ·
Hi everyone!

Just found this forum and what a gold mine! had fun reading through some of the threads in here about escapades in renaults. Wish I'd found it months ago!

I bought a 1990 trafic 2.5D camper in january. Driven her from cornwall to london to scotland to northumberland.

She's my first vehicle. First camper, and been getting learning everything as I go along. Had holes in bodywork i've patched, passed MOT last month. Just tackled a leak in the fuel filter primer head, ended up replacing the whole unit after a lot of adventures. (if anyone needs a lucas fuel heating block, now got one spare)

SO: gearbox rattle. In 5th especially, but also in 3rd, there's a distinct 'rattle' whilst gear engaged and driving. Rattle stops / is dampened if i hold the gearstick or keep my leg against it. gearboxes are a foreign land to me right now. any ideas?

Planning on driving her to south of spain soon so want to make sure all's steesh before then :)

hope everyone's well.

luke

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Might want to ask a Mod (hit report) to edit title to show that is an older camper.... Will catch the eye of the camp lot, sorry camping lot on here 0:)

I'm thinking that this is a selector rattle rather then gearbox internals.
A loose joint, missing spring, needs some grease or the like.
Hopefully someone can point you a little closer.

Will say that it is heartening to hear of 1st vehicle and an older one. at that.
Best way to learn, simply cos you have to.
You may not believe it when you have oil and grease up to your armpits but will value the lessons learnt later on.

#8 ·
Might want to ask a Mod (hit report) to edit title to show that is an older camper.... Will catch the eye of the camp lot, sorry camping lot on here 0:)
Might I suggest "Old Trafic" ?? if not posting in the pre 1992 areas.
Title of thread sorted hopefully to everyone's liking :)

Welcome to the forum Luke. Sound if that camper gets up and running well, there will be a lot of good times in the future :grin2: Good luck with it! :smile2:

#3 ·
Hi Luke and welcome :smile2: Love the colour of your van :grin2: The Trafic gear-levers do tend to shake about but I've not heard about a rattle before. A usual problem with excesve gear-lever shaking is a sign of the rear gearbox mounting deteriorating. As 3rd and 5th are next door to each other could your gearlever be knocking against the floorpan? Or is the rattle definitely coming from somewhere else?
Stick around and hopefully there'll be more replies.

@dd ... thank you sweetie :x

#4 ·
thx for the welcome renoir. glad you like the colour, bought it that colour and a new tin of nato green is ready to go back over once a couple of rust bubbles been attacked :laugh:

hmm if it's not a common issue.. aye the stick's always been a right wobbler, but it's def rattling metal on metal somewhere now, making a distinct sound that i can stop by holding the stick or keeping stick pushed to the side with my knee. will have a look underneath tomorrow for first time, see if my inexperienced eyes can spot anything.

have read about 'gear brushes' becoming worn on other vehicles as i've tried to google a solution. is that a possibility?

#10 ·
This will sound silly but worth checking ..... has the grubscrew under the gearlever knob worked loose and its the knob rattling about on top of the gearstick??

#11 ·
I may be totally up the wrong tree here but that description sounds like the gear stick problems I had on Mk3 Cortinas.
The stick was held into the gearbox extension with a large nylon collar. With a very fine thread which would strip, letting the lever come out entirely.
I "cured" by cutting a sheet metal collar and self tapping it to the gear stick housing.
Seem to remember getting a slight rattle after that and that pushing down on the stick silenced it.

Have a look at whatever holds the stick at the bottom.

#12 ·
I may be totally up the wrong tree here but that description sounds like the gear stick problems I had on Mk3 Cortinas.....
I said that as my van came with an aftermarket knob that use to do that but I swapped it for another type ..... still a loose fit but no longer annoying :smile2:

Also on the Trafic you don't need to press down on the lever to engage Reverse ..... its simply press against the spring to the right and back.

I think I'm right in saying the gear-lever engages with remote-control rods .... I don't think it enters the gearbox directly.

Luke mentioned reported problems with bushes (please don't start up the tree puns again :wink2:) ... guess they'd have to be really badly worn to rattle about. Can't think of any other reasons why pressing on the gear lever stops the rattling noise.

Your mention of the Mk3 reminded me of my FE Victor ... that bugger snapped its gear lever at the base :frown2: I was left with 1" sticking out of the box with which I managed to change gear and drive around for a couple of weeks until I could find someone to weld the two pieces together again :smile2:

#16 ·
#17 ·
There is a screw on the side of gearbox for holding the selected gear in position.the screw has a spring in front of it and a ball Bearing on the inner end of the Spring.The spring loses its tension with age and fails to engage the ball bearing into the hole.that Spring needs retensioning or replaced.If taking the screw out be careful not to lose spring or ball bearing.I recall there are about three of these screws on gearbox casing next the rear.By trial and error you can find which one controls first gear.

#20 ·
The bottom of the gearstick goes into a hole on the control shaft.that shaft goes through the casing into the gearbox. It simply sits in that hole but about six inches higher up the gearstick it is held in place by a central bolt with a nut on it.So that bolt holds the lever in permanent position and the tip of gear-lever controls the control lever which in turn selects the required gear.Thats on. 1994 T110 if that gear-lever retaining nut came loose the lever would rattle all over the place

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.