#1 ·
My Trafic Camper is due for new tyres.

On the oval plate the weights (as the original panel van) are:

2450 Kg (GVW))
3900 Kg (MGVW)

axle 1 - 1280 Kg
axle 2 - 1420 Kg

The current tyres are 8pr Load Rating 99 = 775 Kg

My question is that as the camper would only carry say 33% - 50% of the original van carrying capacity, can I step down to a cheaper tyre of a lower Load Rating or should I continue with the '99's ?
Or should I even step up the rating as 4 x 775Kg (99) = 3100Kg which is less than the MGVW

I'm getting confused :frown2:

#2 ·
AFAIK, It only matters for two things:-
1) Were you ever to be stopped, Weighed & found to be too heavy.
Bear in mind that despite being a camper, it was designed as a goods Vehicle.
2) Your insurers, should an incident occur. :frown2:

This comes up on TVP quite often.
The "VanPimps", myself included, Fit (usually) BMW wheels, often larger than standard, for which load rated tyres are not available.
As I load my van with a big Bike (1100cc) & tow a caravan. I opted for 16" BMW Alloys, which would allow original load rated tyres. Aviva are happy with this. :smile2:

However, I feel you would be very unlucky, If anyone actually checked. But there are coppers who would be that picky. :frown2:

Reactions: Davegayle
#3 ·
I've just found these words on another forum I've just stumbled across

"No you don't divide the weight of the van by four. The tyres are rated for which axle carries the maximum load, which on a most T25's is the rear axle at 1400 kg which dived by two needs a minimum 96 load index tyre."

That's where I was getting confused, so I should stick with the '99's on my axles from the sounds of it.

But why don't the combined axle rates add up to the maximum laden weight the van? That's what doesn't make sense to me :forehead:

#5 ·
I can't remember what people call the weights these days :eek: so I basically meant gross vehicle weight (unladen) and maximum gross vehicle weight (fully laden).

Reactions: Nottnoc
#8 ·
GVW as Gross Vehicle Weight, including load, fuel etc would make sense of the axle weights.
Both together add up to more then the sum.
Just gotta be careful that the weight of beer in the back is evenly loaded so as not to overload rear axle

MGVW makes sense if that is the Max Gross Vehicle (Train) weight including trailer.

#9 ·
Just gotta be careful that the weight of beer in the back is evenly loaded so as not to overload rear axle.
Its the weight of the two bottles of Sherry I should worry about (Fosters ad) :wink2:

#11 ·
Thanks Tim & Pete.:beer: You've both helped me understand how to interpret the figures and the link is great too.
It's pointed me back to more useful info that I found in the Owners Handbook so I can search for correct tyres with confidence now. :smile2:

#12 ·
Dunno what I did apart from ask a question 0:)

But you are welcome anyway :grin2:

As a thought, have you ever run the beast past a weighbridge to check how it matches up with all the kit in ?

May be able to downplate the ratings.
Or avoid a nasty shock if pulled in by Old Bill.

#13 ·
I'll keep the weighbridge idea in mind .... there's a couple in the locality ...... but not using it for stopovers just now most of the time my van is running light.

One reason for considering a lower rating tyre was price but another was thinking it might give a softer ride if it's not re-inforced quite so much (still sticking with 8-ply though).

Whatever I'm making sure the new tyres have good wet weather grip ..... I once bought budget tyres for my Sierra and they were fine in the dry but like ice-skates in the wet. I had too many close calls in that car (driving sensibly too) so I'm not making that mistake again.

#14 ·
#15 ·
Thanks for the links Heidi :smile2:

Just to add to my dilemma I really need 4 new tyres but finances being tight I can only manage two :frown2: Currently I have 175/75 profile but there's more choice in 185/80 and similar, though I think I'd prefer to retain the 175's.

So do I buy cheapy unknown budget brand and do all 4 tyres safe in the knowledge the tread isn't going to separate from the carcass but could be slippy slidey in the wet (re Sierra days :surprise:) or buy 2 mid price probably ending up two sizes with 185's on the front and old 175's on the rear until I can afford the other two next spring. :crying2:

Don't think I'll go down the part-worn tyres route though in theory you can get better brands for cheaper, but I've tried that in the past and never got a good long-term deal :|.

Think I'll go flip a coin :nerd:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.