Renault Trafic mk1 1.7 lacking power - Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum

Older renaults (pre-1992) Own or have an interest in older Renaults? This is the forum for you

14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 42 (permalink) Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter

What car do you own? Citroen C5 Tourer
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Renault Trafic mk1 1.7 lacking power

Hello folks, I have a 1.7 Renault Trafic mk1 camper 1991 that really lacks power. She was idle a little while and is one I just bought. A couple of issues with it besides, the air filter housing located by the headlight has a couple of pipes missing, it had some ducting pipes but they were falling apart so I took these off, would this effect the running of her? Would anyone know where to locate new ducting pipes for it? Also the exhaust manifold gasket appears to be leaking some fumes, could notice it when its running, would this effect the power? Lastly the choke doesn't work well, also would cleaning the carbs out help in getting it running better? It got a small service oil plugs etc. Many thanks, Noel
Currently in noeltraficmk1's garage:
Renault Trafic Mk 1 T1100, Reliant Scimitar SE5a, Mercedes 280CE
  5 Lastest Threads by noeltraficmk1
Thread Forum Last Poster Replies Views Last Post
Any easy way topping up coolant Renault Trafic... Older renaults (pre-1992) noeltraficmk1 3 165 25th May 2017 08:42 AM
Renault Trafic mk1 1.7 lacking power Older renaults (pre-1992) noeltraficmk1 41 803 18th May 2017 12:23 AM
Help with replacing manifold gasket Renault... Older renaults (pre-1992) noeltraficmk1 5 213 18th May 2017 12:05 AM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 (permalink) Old 1 Week Ago
Platinum Member located in the UK
Technical Supremo

Nominated 18 Times in 21 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 33
Thanked 1,521 Times in 1,265 Posts
Re: Renault Trafic mk1 1.7 lacking power

Quote:
Originally Posted by noeltraficmk1 View Post
Hello folks, I have a 1.7 Renault Trafic mk1 camper 1991
1721cc F1N 724 engine?

that really lacks power. She was idle a little while
For how long? If a long time petrol goes stale and forms hard deposits inside the carb necessitating a thorough clean.

it had some ducting pipes but they were falling apart so I took these off, would this effect the running of her?
Not at this time of year ..... one ducting pipe is from front grille duct to filter body (plastic flexi pipe) the other is aluminium flexi pipe from exhaust manifold to filter body (for winter time faster warm up)

Would anyone know where to locate new ducting pipes for it?
Any motor factors or ebay

Also the exhaust manifold gasket appears to be leaking some fumes, could notice it when its running, would this effect the power?
Yes ..... any leaks in the air intake and exhaust affects the engines ability to breathe efficiently ..... a bit like putting a peg on your nose. Be certain where the leak is coming from as smoke can drift around an area .... check for sooty deposits too where the leak should be.

Lastly the choke doesn't work well, also would cleaning the carbs out help in getting it running better?
Check choke cable for correct adjustment and I find a spray of WD40 all over the outside of the carb frees up all the linkages nicely for a few months. A spray of carb cleaner down the intake helps too but is only a partial solution.
If you remove the carb for better cleaning DO NOT UNDO ANY LINKAGES OR REMOVE BUTTERFLIES .... unless you have the factory settings and correct alignment tools leave well alone.

What make carb does your engine have? It should be Solex for your year but has someone fitted another make as conversions are popular modification on the Trafic.

My van has a Solex and although I don't like it that much once set it it does function reasonably well although the smoothness is always a compromise.

Welcome Noel .... hope this helps.

Don't take without giving in return

Country of Residence: UK
Currently in Renoir White's garage:
Renault Trafic 1.7 Petrol Vauxhall Astra 1.4i & in bits Triumph Bonneville T140E & H-D XLH1200
post #3 of 42 (permalink) Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter
Threadstarter

What car do you own? Citroen C5 Tourer
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
[QUOTE=Renoir White;3567737]

Thanks for the info, it is the 1721cc, the rocker cover gasket will more than likely need changing as small oil leak near front of rocker, will get the carbs cleaned out any easy way doing it besides taking them off? It just seriously lacks power really want her to run properly.
Currently in noeltraficmk1's garage:
Renault Trafic Mk 1 T1100, Reliant Scimitar SE5a, Mercedes 280CE

post #4 of 42 (permalink) Old 1 Week Ago
Platinum Member located in the UK
Technical Supremo

Nominated 18 Times in 21 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 33
Thanked 1,521 Times in 1,265 Posts

[quote=noeltraficmk1;3567905]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renoir White View Post

.........will get the carbs cleaned out any easy way doing it besides taking them off? It just seriously lacks power really want her to run properly.
3 options:-

a) can of aerosol cleaner you just squirt down the carb throat.
b) take top of carb to clean float chamber and access jets BUT there is the risk of dropping a screw or washer down the carb no matter how careful you are ... I've got the T-shirt
c) take off carb for complete job but you'll probably need new base gaskets.

My van will pull up a shortish 1:5 hill in 4th but on long motorway inclines I usually have to drop from 5th to 4th

Don't take without giving in return

Country of Residence: UK
Currently in Renoir White's garage:
Renault Trafic 1.7 Petrol Vauxhall Astra 1.4i & in bits Triumph Bonneville T140E & H-D XLH1200
post #5 of 42 (permalink) Old 1 Week Ago
Diamond member

What car do you own? Fiat Panda
Nominated 6 Times in 3 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 3

There's a power jet in the bottom of the float bowl which might be blocked - as RW says if it's been standing a while you can get 'varnish' in the float bowl which can block things. You'll have to take the carb off to clean it - nothing else will work really.

Also, the vacuum advance on the ignition unit can stop working. Test it with it hot and idling by folding the pipe (from the manifold to the ignition unit) to block it and then pulling it off the ignition unit. If it slows down or stops it's working; if not it's broken. They're not really repairable although I've got one working before now.

The ducts just feed warm air in - not really necessary in warm weather but I just got some silicone ducting from Ebay . If the exhaust manifold is leaking it won't have much effect, but the inlet shares the gasket and if that's leaking it will. So probably worth changing it. They do crack as well so hopefully it's not that.

How does it run generally? Smooth, spluttery, smokey? Does it start OK? Does it go better if you pull the choke out a bit? Will it pull fifth gear OK at 50mph on the flat?

One more thing - there is very little reserve throttle pedal travel especially if it has a cab carpet so make sure there's hardly any slack in the throttle cable. It adjusts at the carb end with a clippy thing. That's made a few of them faster!

However, they're slow when they're running right. Just be glad it's not the 1.4
Renoir White likes this.
Currently in richardstubbs's garage:
2005 Ford Transit camper, 2004 Fiat Panda 1.2 Dynamic, 1972 Triumph Tiger 650
The Following User Says Thank You to richardstubbs For This Useful Post:
noeltraficmk1 (1 Week Ago)

Tags
lacking , mk1 , power , renault , trafic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode