Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Cost of New Key card!

View Single Post
post #12 of (permalink) Old 16th July 2007
John J
Diamond member
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Depending upon whats wrong with your Renault card I would be tempted to look at fitting a reputable aftermarket rolling code alarm/immobiliser with car unlocking feature rather than buying new cards. This assumes the immoiliser function of your Renault car still works. Granted - not an option for the original poster.

You will still need to put your Renault card in the slot (provided it works still) in order to deactivate the imobiliser & steering lock but I guess its going to be a lot cheaper over time than buying Ren cards if you intend to keep the car. Probably pay-back after the first card failure!

As the car lock/unlock is a mechanical switch on the Renault card it IS going to fail at some point.

There is no reason for the proximity detection function of the card (i.e. the reason you put it in the slot) to fail other than destruction of the card itself as the immoiliser activation/deactivation is contactless.

The added advantage is you can get a decent alarm which is loud and can easily disable the ultrasonic detectors. Neither of which you get with the Espace IV.

Must admit I quite like the security of the Renault immobiliser if it works as I think it does.
Currently in John J's garage:
Family car - 2004 3.0dCi Grand Espace. Fun car - Calibra 4x4 Turbo

Last edited by John J; 16th July 2007 at 08:26 PM.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome