Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Clio 2003 - Engines - Loss of power and Warning Light

View Single Post
post #309 of (permalink) Old 12th February 2015
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Re: Renault Clio 2003 - Engines - Loss of power and Warning Light

I have had the exact same problem...twice with my 2003 Clio and I'm not sure if I can help but I'll let you know what happened to me.

On both ocassions I had the same light come on which always resulted in the car losing power and lagging essentially until I would change into a higher gear. It wouldn't always happen, and sometimes I could drive the car for 20kms without it happening, and sometimes the light was there as soon as i turned the car on... but overall the light would be on at least 75% of the time.

The first time I also noticed quite a loud 'whirring' noise coming from the back of the car, this noise was always there despite the light. I ended up taking the car to the mechanic without even mentioning the light at this stage because the noise was getting worse and that was my main concern. I had a feeling it was the rear wheel bearings making the noise, which was correct. I had these replaced, and my mechanic mentioned when he drove the car before replacing them he noticed the light and asked if I wanted it checked out. I didn't have enough money at the time and said I'd do it in a few weeks. But the light never came back and the car was driving like a trooper again.

Then about 4 months later, the exact same thing happened, the light was back, except the noise wasn't obviously coming from the back so i figured it meant my front bearings needed changing now. Returned to the same mechanic and it turned out the front bearings were fine but the tires were terrible cheap quality, were distorted and needed new ones. We talked again about the light and he asked if I wanted to diagnose it...but I just felt like it was too much of a coincidence and felt it was related to the tyres. Since fitting new, good quality tyres the car has never driven better, the light is gone and it's quiet as a mouse.

I'm by no means car savvy, and it makes no sense for that light to be associated with the tyres... even the mechanic felt it was unlikely to be connected. All I know is that on both occasions the problem was fixed, so perhaps anyone else experiencing this can start first by looking at their tyres.
Hope this helps.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome