Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Ignition problem!

View Single Post
post #4 of (permalink) Old 20th July 2007
Technical Supremo

Nominated 16 Times in 67 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 28
Thanked 5,200 Times in 4,712 Posts
I came across a similar thing rcently on a 1997 1.6 Megane after much hoking aroud I found 2 broken earth cables going to the timing cover - sometimes the engine/gearbox is used by other under bonnet electrics as a source to earth and if they can't get an earth they will try to backfeed through other sources (ie the ignition). I am not certain about your car but on some models of Renault the ECU needs to be either changed or reprogrammed to suit the parameter of a different engine. I sugget you double check th econnections as it is obvious the dash and fuel pump are getting a source of power from an improper source. You could also try disconnecting connections from the engine until you lose the dash lights - that way you may be able to narrow the problem down.
P.S. JUst had a thought - when you disconnected the earth strap the cooler fan went on because it is acting a source of earth. So my bet is it is an earthing problem.
Currently in madnoel10's garage:
Honda Civic 1.4l

Last edited by madnoel10; 20th July 2007 at 05:38 PM.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome