Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Espace Key

Thread: Espace Key
View Single Post
post #3 of (permalink) Old 20th July 2007
Technical Supremo

Nominated 16 Times in 67 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 28
Thanked 5,199 Times in 4,711 Posts
Hi Steven - what you need to consider is that the car is programmed to suit the key NOT the key is programmed to suit the car. Security doesn't come cheap nowadays and if you look closely you car is likely to have either a
Thatcham CAT1 or CAT2 system installed form new. Most car insurers give a discount for this as the likleyhood of theft is very low. So you either pay for the key or pay higher insurance. In all honesty if I were buying a car either new or second hand I wouldn't even consider it if it had only one key - recently when I went to buy a car and there was only one key I said I wanted a £300 discount as I would need to replace both keys simply because somebody out there had a spare. The salesman nearly fainted when I walked away - sometime later he phoned saying they had found the key and was I still interested - guess were I told him to go. So it is surprising how many people just don't care about security.

P.S. When taken onto account the overall costs of buying, running and insuring a car £100becomes insignificant.
Currently in madnoel10's garage:
Honda Civic 1.4l

Last edited by madnoel10; 20th July 2007 at 06:08 PM.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome