Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Laguna I - Phase 1 - Heating and Cooling - Possible fix for cold heater

View Single Post
post #46 of (permalink) Old 23rd July 2007
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Hi, I'm new to the forum, found it when I was searching for a solution to a juddering (missing) problem with our car.

we have a Laguna 1.8 RT, petrol, (1998) We had problems with the heater since we got the car several months ago but they appeared to be fixed after DH put a new thermostat in. within a few weeks, the heater was blowing cold (or lukewarm) again.

When DH took me for art supplies a few days ago, I saw the gearstick shuddering. Being a contrary little madam, I asked him what the problem was. Smarty pants replied that it was because he pulled away in 3rd gear. I accepted that explanation until I saw the gear stick shaking again a few yards down the road. He'd dropped to 3rd gear when approaching school crossing. So he said perhaps the neighbour hadn't put the water cap on properly earlier (when they were both trying to find out what was wrong with the heater) He stopped at a layby, checked the water cap said it was a bit loose (the lying toad!) But as we drove on, each time he was in 2nd or 3rd gear, that gearstick was shaking like crazy. He continued driving with one hand on the gearstick to stop it shaking and to shut me up.
I can't see how this problem can be connected with the heater, but he decided to follow spiro's advice in this thread(many thanks for that, one of those pipes is pretty bad)
He'd already used up all my pathclear so had to go buy more. He wouldn't use my kettle descaler ( I reckon it would have worked)
He's still outside with the car so I decided to ask if anyone here can offer any advice.

The only sense I can get out of DH is that the car is pinking a lot when driving at 30mph in 4th gear, if he drops to 3rd gear it still misses but doesn't judder as much. (he hasn't got up to 5th gear since this started) He says the power is still there, in that the car pulls away easliy but the engine isn't running smoothly.
Does anyone have any advice to offer.
I'm disabled and can't get out of the house if the car isn't working (and I won't go anywhere in cars that have problems like this)
Many thanks in advance.
Currently in Maggie's garage:
Renault Laguna 1.8R
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome