Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Clio 3 - Clutch/Warranty Advice

View Single Post
post #2 of (permalink) Old 24th July 2007
S.M.A.R.T.(y) Pants
Nominated 11 Times in 37 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 17
Thanked 2,467 Times in 1,851 Posts
Hello, someone else is having a right old ding dong with their dealer just now (search for Megane 225).

How many miles has your car covered? And did it display any signs of slipping (revs increasing as the pedal was pressed, but little or no acceleration)?

What they are implying is either;
  1. You are constantly ragging the car at traffic lights.
  2. You don't use the handbrake when holding the car on a hill start.
  3. You drive with your left foot resting on the clutch pedal.
  4. Some combination of the above.
Now, only you can truthfully analyse your own driving - if any of the above are true - then there is no case to answer, and it is right for the warranty not to cover 'poor' driving techniques.

However, if you haven't contributed to the accelerated wear of the clutch, and it is due to a fault in the mechanism (for example) not allowing the friction plates to fully engage (or something similar) - then that isn't your fault, and contact RCS to look for assistance. You should also escalate the matter within the dealership.

To give you an indication of how long clutches last - my last car (a Ka Luxury, was 3.5 years old, and had covered 88,500 miles - and was still on the original - no signs of slippage), and those who know me, know that I don't have a reputation for dilly-dallying behind the wheel.

You also may which to involve (or even just imply to the dealer that you'll involve) motoring press and consumer groups - it can swing a decision.

Hope all this helps.

This job should never be complete - the day I think I've done it all, is the day I resign.

S.M.A.R.T. Technician
Currently in VelSatisfied's garage:
2005 FIAT Ducato 2.8JTD LWB Gran Volume, 2000 Kawasaki ZZR 1100 D7 'fullpower' in black + full GIVI & KAPPA luggage, 2007 MB R-Class 320 CDi Sport LWB uprated by Brabus to 300Bhp don't know if there's a 155mph limiter - will be fun finding out! 2004 Mercedes Vaneo 1.7 CDi Ambiente 7-seater
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome