Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Vegetable Oil In a 2006 Megane dCi

View Single Post
post #6 of (permalink) Old 25th July 2007
S.M.A.R.T.(y) Pants
Nominated 11 Times in 37 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 17
Thanked 2,467 Times in 1,851 Posts
Personally, on newer engines - I wouldn't touch the stuff. Diesels operate on compression combustion - due to the fuel being a longer-chain hydrocarbon compound than petrol (the viscosity is higher, and the freezing point is higher (i.e. it will solidify at a 'warmer' temperature). In these days, when most talk about the benefits of using fuel additives (Cetane boosters, injector cleaner, etc), it seems ironic (and somewhat dangerous) to consider blending a 'thicker' compound and adding it to your car's most expensive component. There is potential for damage to the fuel pump, filter and injectors (in much the same principle as running your diesel on petrol).

An old motto; "Penny wise and pound stupid" should be the over-riding principle employed.

Rather than treading down a potentially ruinous road - if the cost of motoring is too high to bear - downsize/cut back on use or use alternative modes of transport.

This job should never be complete - the day I think I've done it all, is the day I resign.

S.M.A.R.T. Technician
Currently in VelSatisfied's garage:
2005 FIAT Ducato 2.8JTD LWB Gran Volume, 2000 Kawasaki ZZR 1100 D7 'fullpower' in black + full GIVI & KAPPA luggage, 2007 MB R-Class 320 CDi Sport LWB uprated by Brabus to 300Bhp don't know if there's a 155mph limiter - will be fun finding out! 2004 Mercedes Vaneo 1.7 CDi Ambiente 7-seater
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome