Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Scenic I electronic/ignition problems

View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 25th July 2007 Thread Starter
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Scenic I electronic/ignition problems

I have owned this Scenic for 8 months (50 000 miles), and recently ran into disturbing problems - difficulty starting, unpredictable slow engine turnover when trying to start. Ultimately it failed completely (while driving) - fortunately not far from home. Had to be towed to the agents, who said that the 'ignition key needed to be reprogrammed'. The story was that the key chip ultimately runs out of combinations which it uses for the immobiliser, and needs to be given a fresh set. The key was duly 'reprogrammed', and two weeks later I had the same problem. This time the agent replaced the battery, though to my mind the symptoms didn't fit the 'flat battery' theory. Two days later the vehicle failed again, and a full diagnostic check is being run at the moment. My questions are: Is there any validity in the 'key programming' theory, and what can I look for in the diagnostic report which might provide a clue to the underlying problem? As you can imagine, confidence in both car and agents ia at a low ebb. Thanks!
Currently in freyamark's garage:
1998 Renault Scenic I 2L
  5 Lastest Threads by freyamark
Thread Forum Last Poster Replies Views Last Post
Scenic I electronic/ignition problems Electronics ottoman 1 1101 25th July 2007 10:05 AM
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome