Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - scenic 1.4 16v fuel economy

View Single Post
post #5 of (permalink) Old 26th July 2007 Thread Starter
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Originally Posted by VelSatisfied View Post

Catalysts can fail (I've replaced 3 on my Scorpio), but they normally make a rattling/tinkling sound beforehand whilst driving. Did any of that occur with your car?

Did Renault fit the cat?

The reason I'm asking these questions, is that I wonder if the cat may have failed due to something else not being 'right' (for example, the failure of a lamda/HEGO sensor - which measures what the exhaust gases are composed of, and adjusts the air/petrol mixture to suit).

It may be a case of the symptom receiving the treatment, instead of the cause.

I would suggest taking the car back to who carried out the work, explain the problem and get them to use a probe to analyse the exhaust gases - the engine may be running rich (which would explain why more fuel is being used).

How old is your car/how many miles?

Sorry for all the questions - no prizes for answering them all, but it will help to eliminate/put forward possible causes.

Hi yes the cat was from renault main dealer but i had independant garage fit it as renault was really expensive,
Anyway i had the cat changed when the car engine managment light came on the garage i took it to read the fault codes and also checked the gases with probe up the rear of the exhaust which failed,it then had the new cat fitted and had its MOT the same day so i assume the gases where fine now because it would not have passed i belive.
The car is a 2002 model and has done 68000 miles give or take a few. Thanks for your reply.
Currently in tara1082's garage:
renault scenic
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome