Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Scenic 2 - Rear Brake Pad Replacement

View Single Post
post #35 of (permalink) Old 26th July 2007
Nominated 0 Times in 1 Post
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 3
A few extra notes to Rear Pad tutorial

Having just completed - thought I would add a few notes to Gonescenile's excellent opener.

You will only find 2 caliper bolts in the full kit (official Renault) when you really need 4. I cannot imagine why they do that - idiocy is my first thought. Therefore you will have to source 2 more, or use the old (not really a great idea) with a touch of bolt lock.

There seems to be much more cr@p in the Rears - due to design or drive ... and more clean-down is required.

USE that bungie to keep the caliper out of your way - you'll be so glad you grabbed it before dismantle.

The Rear Caliper requires two spanners this time:

The Rear Pads are more jammed in than others - use a bit of judicious tapping.
The Caliper removed reveals the auto handbrake piston.
Clean it up ! - between splines as well!
You can leave the handbrake attached ... depends how you like to work.
The "screwing in" is not easy ... and it does resist on the final piston , unless you've bled a little fluid. G Clamp, unless quite large won't quite stretch to covering the piston and holding, centrally, at its back. I also found that a GClamp + foot didn't really turn as you tighten ... some other might. So, some strong arm + hand + longnosed robust pliers can do it - or get the special tool...

The clips aren't as snug and positive as the front - and may need a little moving around to snap in

Final assembly
A small surprise as the smaller pads here have a tacky glue area on the backs. I suppose they might overcome some engineering problem...squealing, or binding "on". I can only assume that Renault think the piston and caliper fingers will "stick" to this patch and therefore release pads a little better - seems a bit of a cludge. Nonetheless, I thought it wise NOT to put copaslip here (which you can) as it will ruin any effect that the tacky surface may have. Or is there some other reason for it??

Bad Wear - I found the warning light was actually responding to just one pad...which was at the very limit. I could've driven another 5000 on the rest of them!

Anyhow, the probable LACK of copaslip in the clip grooves/cleaning/poor clip seating on the INNER rear pad gave a severe uneven wear. The pad was much more jammed with cr@p and locked in to the disk surface, than the outer pad. Or maybe that's where the "tacky" surface comes in ?Both pistons were operationally fine

Worth keeping the rears cleaned through, occassionally
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to johnny53 For This Useful Post:
changingman2001 (7th January 2013), twotrucks (13th June 2011)
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome