Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Laguna 1 - Fitting Roof Bars And Box On Estate

View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 29th July 2007 Thread Starter
Veteran Member
Technical Supremo
Nominated 2 Times in 20 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 18
Thanked 1,103 Times in 942 Posts
Renault Laguna 1 - Fitting Roof Bars And Box On Estate

After having to struggle to get everything in the car on our last camping trip,we decided to buy a roof box.We did toy with the idea of having a tow bar and trailer,but my wife is still on about getting a caravan,so I really don't want to put a towbar on the car to try and put her off the idea....

We decided to go to Halfords for the bars and box as they had a special offer on,and I was pleasantly surprised by the range they had there.They had their own make of boxes as well as some more expensive one made by Thule.I would have preferred the latter,but cost was a big consideration and the difference in price was fairly large,although I suspect the Thule equipment is much better quality.

The bars were £70 and the locks (which are extra) were £18.The bars can be fitted without the locks,but obviously it makes sense to secure them against theiving gits..The box has a capacity of 470 litres and should have been £289,but it had £100 knocked off it.They were also doing a deal that meant if bought the bars and box together,you get a further 10% off.

The bars are universal fit,which usually means they will fit anything but nothing properly.....In this case,they seem to fit very well.....

Here you can see the 'optional extra' locks.....

The box opens.....

The box closes....

I'm not entirely sure about the Halfords stickers all over the stuff,and they might have to be removed!.All in all though,I'm very happy with the set up.We've had the box on for a while and you don't really notice it apart from a bit extra wind noise at 60mph+.It obviously makes sense to remove the bars and box when you don't need them as it does effect fuel economy,but I haven't got anywhere to store the box properly so it'll stay on for the foreseable future.

The setting up of the bars and box is fairly straight foward,but you do have to take time to make sure everything is properly lined up and central on the car.You also have to make sure that the box is positioned in such a way that the tailgate can be opened fully without fouling the box....

As I said,Halfords have quite a range of bars and boxes,both cheaper and more expensive than ours,and in various shapes and sizes.

Just for reference,the handbook states that the Lag 1 estate can carry 80kg on the roof rails,the bars will hold a maximum of 75kg,and the box will carry 60kg.

Hope someone finds this usefull/helpfull.

I'd rather push my Alfa than drive a BMW....
Currently in Lagdti's garage:
2004 Saab 9-5 HOT Aero and a 2001 Audi A3 1.8 Turbo

Last edited by Lagdti; 29th July 2007 at 06:13 PM.
  5 Lastest Threads by Lagdti
Thread Forum Last Poster Replies Views Last Post
2014 Isle Of Man TT Bikes Gonescenile 2 2137 2nd June 2014 09:52 PM
40,000th Post......:eek: General Chat excavator 57 5405 3rd May 2013 02:28 PM
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome