Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Clio 1.4 8v - Info on starting problems - HELPFUL!

View Single Post
post #49 of (permalink) Old 9th March 2015
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Re: Renault Clio 1.4 8v - Info on starting problems - HELPFUL!

I have had the same issue with the wife's Renault Clio Mk II Dynamique Auto where the car cranks perfectly but will not fire up. The first time it happened I left it overnight and it fired up first time in the morning. The next failure was at work. The car would not start again. Got the breakdown service out and they tried starting it from a stand alone battery but no good. Eventually after many attempts (ignition on/off, lock doors/open doors) it fired up. Got 5 miles and stopped at a set of lights and it cut out. Wouldn't start straight away but after a couple of attempts it did. Took it for a full service where it had new plugs, etc. They couldn't get it to fail. Ran it for a while and it eventually failed again. Managed to get it to a Renault garage and they did a diagnostic check on it FOC. No faults found. When leaving the garage it failed on me. They checked it again whilst it wouldn't start but no faults??? To get it to start they moved the gear lever from P to 2 then back to P. I have done this myself on previous faults but it still wouldn't start up.
Many threads mention the TDC sensor. Would this not give an error on the diagnostics if it wasn't working?
I am about to sell the car to "" but wanted to give it one last chance. It's only got 30K on it and all else is perfect. Not been driven for a while now as the wife doesn't trust it!!! I have started it the last few times and it fires up first time. Very strange!!!!

Apologies for the war and peace
Currently in paulschofield758's garage:
2004 Renault Clio Dynamique 1.4l Auto
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome