Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Airbag/immobiliser problem

View Single Post
post #4 of (permalink) Old 31st July 2007 Thread Starter
Diamond member
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Just thought I would give this an update if it's any good for future reference and perhaps somebody could answer a question for me aswell.

Right well after the mix up initially about the service manager not knowing about why anybody told me about the key and then saying it was the airbag computer I phoned him back yesterday morning to discuss it. Now according to him the only fault they were getting is that the airbag computer had crash data stored and it was telling them to change it. I asked if this would fix it and he said i'm not 100% sure. I then said can you check if it is the key and he went away and came back and said no it isn't.
So without any other options I gave the ok to change the airbag computer. Luckily they must have come down in price to 185 plus and hours labour to fit/program(65).

So today he phoned me at lunchtime to say it was fitted and my car was ready to go I said great how much will the bill be?534!!!
I was quite shocked and asked how it can come to so much. He explained that was for the diagnosing of the fault, the airbag computer+fitting and a new KEY! Immediately confused I asked why in hell I am being charged for a new key after he said he knew nothing about a key on Saturday.
After me getting a little heated he went away and spoke to the technician who claims that they coded a new plip to the car and it deactivated the immobiliser but the car still would not start.

The girl phoned me at 15:56 on Friday claiming I needed a new key as that was the cause of my starting problems so I said ok go ahead, she then said we don't have any instock the dealer 12 miles away does but we won't be able to get it until Monday so pick it up at 5pm. Well according to the service managers timesheet for the technician working on my car a key had been made up at 14:45 on Friday and that he presumed I had given authorisation for this. Also conveniently for him the girl who phoned that he knew nothing about is now off sick all week.

I asked if he had my old plip which he does whether if I was to use it would it start the car to which he said it would not. But he thinks the 2 problems were linked together which I find hard to believe.

So basically I can't tell them to keep the key as my car will not start without it. I also cannot tell them to keep the airbag computer as I gave the ok for this but unaware about them having already tried a new key. Both the key and airbag computer can only be coded once he said so are useless to him.

So now I need my car back and am going to be forced to pay up as I cannot prove him wrong about the airbag computer.

My questions are do Renault quote there prices minus VAT?

And if I pay the bill and take the car is that me accepting what has be done and will I not be able to take the matter further?

I have an airbag computer in the garage which also has crash data stored and plan on fitting this to my car to see if it will not start as he says.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome