Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - scenic 1.9 dci, welding alternator pulley?

View Single Post
post #10 of (permalink) Old 31st July 2007
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Angry Alternator pulley

We have owned since new a 03 1.4 petrol 32k with the same alternator pulley setup, It seized and undid itself and came off the end of the alternator whilst driving at low speed 2 days ago. No replacement pulles are availiable, we had to by a new Bosch alternator with a redesigned pulley at 160, a new belt as a precaution 17, 1 hour labour plus the dreaded VAT total 240.

Renault have put owners in a position where a normal DIY task ie only changing the belt or alternator requires a special tool to allow installation. This means taking it to a garage.

Renault have had a brain wave and dropped this design in favour of a normal fixed pulley without any moving parts. (Clever eh!) I wonder if they will they pay towards the redesigned replacement? (I won't hold my breath as they will probably find some crap excuse not to pay out!)

Our next car will be a Toyota, they may be just as difficult nowadays to work on but at least it they are well designed and of all the three we have owned in the past 15 yrs we never had a break down.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome