Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Grand Scenic Handbrake fault, resolved. V happy!!

View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11th March 2015 Thread Starter
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Grand Scenic Handbrake fault, resolved. V happy!!

My 2008 Grand Scenic had a handbrake fault, and after reading various comments, I thought I'd share about how I resolved it.

A few weeks back, my EPB made a grating sound (dashboard warning et al..) but still engaged the brakes, and disengaged as normal. This only happened on a hill, never on the flat.
Last week, it stopped altogether, leaving the handbrake off, permanently.
I took my car to a local Renault mechanic who ran a diagnosis(35+vat), and came back with EPB motor fault, and it would be 521+vat for a new unit and labour.
After searching for a cheaper alternative (second hand unit to be reprogrammed) I contacted Blue Chip Autotronics via their Ebay page and told them about my EPB. They told me It was a very common fault, and I could send them my faulty EPB unit, for them to refurbish for a fraction of the cost. I weighed up the cost of a garage to take the unit off, send by carrier, and refit the refurbed unit, and it was cheaper to drive there and let them refurbish the unit while I waited.
Today I took my car to them. Within 2hrs, they refurbed the unit, changed the relay and fitted new cables, with a 1 year warranty, all for 300, and half a tank of fuel to take me though the lovely Welsh countryside.
Much better than 521+vat, wouldn't you agree?
Currently in PaulHodgkins's garage:
2008 Renault Grand Scenic 1.6
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PaulHodgkins For This Useful Post:
lonewolf997 (23rd March 2015), Meganeman (12th March 2015)
  5 Lastest Threads by PaulHodgkins
Thread Forum Last Poster Replies Views Last Post
Grand Scenic Handbrake fault, resolved. V happy!! Brakes/Hubs JohnBG 3 1498 11th March 2015 10:51 PM
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome