Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - First time Clio owner

View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 6th August 2007 Thread Starter
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Question First time Clio owner

I've just become a Renault owner for the first time. - it's a bit of a project car, with no MOT & no history, but seems basically sound (I hope).

What is it ?
- as the VIN code starts with VF1557K, I think it's a Mk 1 Clio (phase 3, has brake light below rear window ?) with the 1149cc D7f multipoint injection engine. 64000 miles, believed genuine, registered Jan 97.

Known problems are:

NSF bottom ball joint appears to be broken (wheel wobble under braking)
Non effective handbrake, with new cables already fitted
Full beam not working on either side
Windscreen washers not working
Engine sounds sweet

My intention is to fix the car, (I'm not too bad with a set of spanners) run it for a couple of months to make sure it's OK before giving it to someone as a birthday present

Plan of action is to replace the ball joint, fit new discs/pads at the front, new shoes for the rear. Am assuming that the headlight problem is nothing more than a fuse / relay problem.

As I don't want to give someone with no mechanical knowledge a problem birthday present what else should I be doing ?

From reading around cambelt etc seems sensible, but what else.

I'd be grateful if any of the problems listed above are regular issues that you guys will know immediately what the fix will be.

Thanks in advance
Currently in 937carrera's garage:
1996 Clio 1.2RL (D7F)
  5 Lastest Threads by 937carrera
Thread Forum Last Poster Replies Views Last Post
Power / torque curve for Clio 1.2 D7F engine Engines Azurael 3 3629 22nd August 2011 05:07 PM
Oil Level Sender / Gauge, Clio Engines 937carrera 7 2061 22nd August 2011 01:01 PM
Front brake caliper seals (Bendix) Wheels & tyres 937carrera 5 2960 23rd April 2008 08:55 PM
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome