Independent Renault Forums banner

Noise when braking on reverse gear only ! ?

3K views 13 replies 2 participants last post by  lancs dave 
#1 ·
Hello everyone. Got problem with strange one off noise durring braking. the noise is only on reverse gear . Everytime I am reversing and press brake pedal got clung noise , then is quiet. after driving forward and braking - quiet. is only once during reversing. i had pads job done and this problem happening since. went back to the garage and they said everything is ok.

#2 ·
If the garage have checked and given it the all clear-

It sounds like the metal backing plates of the brake pads are a little bit smaller than they should be...or...the caliper bracket has worn a little bit.

Another set of brake pads from a different manufacturer may cure it.

If you wait a month or two, you might find the noise goes away on it's own.

As the brake pad wears, dust will fill the gaps between the pad and retaining bracket.

#3 ·
Thank you for your reply. I went back to the garage and they put new set of pads. no idea what they fit but same brand delphi. same problem only when reversing. had 35 miles run on motorway and same thing when i was parking car outside my house. had a mot and all perfect. maybe i should wait and see what will happen

#4 ·
It's just the brake pads moving slightly in the retaining bracket.
As you say, it mostly happens when you press the brake after reversing.

It might also do it first time you brake when going forwards after your reverse braking.

If the brakes feel fine other than the noise, give it some time and see if it goes away.

If the noise remains and is too annoying-

If the bracket has worn or they cleaned it up aggressively when doing the pads, you'd have to find replacement brackets.

#11 ·
garage checked all bolts and pads. one pad got movement from left to right . I used screwdriver to show that to man in Chessington tyres garage. he said the pad have to have movment. I think they are wrong undersized as you mentioned to me. never had that problem before they touched my car. I bought new set of psds from eurocarparts waiting to be fitted end of this week. Hopefully that will resolve this problem. got some videos if intrested.

#12 ·
It's usually up/down play that causes the noise.
Not so easy to replicate that movement without stripping the caliper down.

He's right that there should be play there to allow the pads to move bu not so much that they rattle around.

Some brake pads come with a coating on the back that helps stop brake squeel and rattle.
After a while one pad sticks to the piston and the other sticks to the caliper fingers pulling on the outer pad.
This still allows the pads to move off the disc when you release the brake.

Maybe the pads they fitted were plain steel backed.

Try your new pads and see how it goes.

Yeah, you post your vids when you get a chance.
Me...I'm going to bed.:d

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.