Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - abs warning light on.

View Single Post
post #2 of (permalink) Old 30th March 2015
Platinum member
Technical Supremo
Nominated 3 Times in 7 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 4
Re: abs warning light on.

I think when the Haynes manual is mentioning that you need diagnostic equipment to bleed the brakes it would be to operate the ABS pump solenoids. This is being advised all of the time now because without operating them you may have some trapped air in the system.

However I can't see why you couldn't just bleed the brakes as normal and see if it makes things better.

If bleeding brakes by pumping the pedal it's a good idea to only ever push it half way down, never push it to the floor. The pedal never goes to the floor under normal use so there's a chance that the master cylinder will have corrosion in the unused area that can damage the seals if the pedal is pushed to the floor....just a precaution but worth taking in my opinion.

If possible use a pressure bleeder, they save all that pedal pushing carry on.

With regards to your ABS light being on...

The first thing to check is that all of the sensors are still in position and the wires to them aren't damaged.

madnoel has posted the link below a few times, it may help you so I'll pass it on...

Please take the time to enter your vehicle details in the "What's current in your garage?" box.

To do this:
Hover over the "TOOLS" tab at the top of the page
> then in the dropdown click on "User Dashboard"
> click on "Edit Your Details" at the top Left hand side.
> scroll down to the "What's current in your garage?" box and enter your vehicle details.
> Once the details are entered scroll down to the bottom of the page and click "Save Changes"

> Done.
Currently in TTT's garage:
2001 Renault Laguna II 1.9dCi Dynamique Sport Tourer
The Following User Says Thank You to TTT For This Useful Post:
ducmon (8th April 2015)
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome