Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Why do we all buy a renault?

View Single Post
post #35 of (permalink) Old 19th January 2006
Banned User
Curveball Champion
Nominated 9 Times in 16 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 10
Thanked 3,511 Times in 2,879 Posts
Having had a Lag 1 RTDT 2.2 which was the first diesel I’d ever had, I soon found this was the best caravan tow car I’ve ever owned, also I also quickly found that with a caravan on the back no other car with a van on the rear end could keep pace on the M ways. The possibility of being sucked in, while being overtaken by wagons also went away because it was oh so easy outpacing lorries. BTW I had the Lag 1 from 98 until last year and was never passed by another towing car.

So I wanted a Lag 2 right from square one, well square two, after the Lag 1.

The guy at Ren just handed me the keys and without any pressure at all, just said go see what you think, he stayed where he was, while I was away for just over 1 ¾ hours.

I loved this car during & after the test-drive although the deal was done, I didn’t want to rush in, so decided to back off, and think about it for a week.

During the weekend I found Parkers forum OMG what a culture shock that was, having seen what I found on there, I put the Lag 2 on the back burner and told Renault I was no longer interested. I started looking at Ford Monds and Vaux Vects, I didn’t enjoy the test drives in any of these compared to the Renault.

I had to smile while enquiring about Ford, within a Nation wide dealership of Fords, the pressure was on right from the start “Can I help you sir? “They’re a lovely motor” etc. etc, etc, etc..

I asked what the PX would be on the Lag1 without any hesitation the guy asked “If I tell you that, will you agree to buy the Mondeo now????

“No!!!! I said, I haven’t even driven a bloody Mondeo yet, but the value you offer me on the PX will certainly influence the decisions I make”.
He would answer any questions I asked, except what the Lag 1 would fetch in PX.

For some reason on that day my patience was a little thin, and being now more interested in what the Mondeo drives like, I said. “Look,,, lets just go take a bloody test drive” I considered at least a 10 - 15 mile test drive the minimum, with at least one junction up the close by M/way, plus some driving in city traffic.

This friggin sales guy said “I’ll drive it out of the pitch” Which he did,,,,, then he proceeded driving around a further 8 – 10 miles, suddenly at last, and he finally agreed that I could drive it back to the show rooms. How bloody reasonable of him!!!!!

The car seemed OK, but it lacked Renaults comfort levels, when we got back to the pitch his first words were “OK are you going to buy it, if you do, I’ll tell you what I’m prepared to offer you in PX” tbh and I told him this.
“With the amount of driving you have done on the test drive I thought you were more interested in buying it for yourself, rather than selling it to me, It took around 20 minutes to get back home onto the phone to Renault “If you still have the Lag2 I tried, wrap it up, I’m buying it.
Currently in hondo's garage:
1.6 Valve-Matic SR. Red hot, toasty feet.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome