Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Brake Fault Stop/Blleping Noise

View Single Post
post #5 of (permalink) Old 31st March 2015
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0

I know that this thread is old but I came on here as I have just had the same problem. So, now I know what the cause was with my car, I'm letting you know in the hope that it might put your mind at rest.

Symptoms: I was getting the warning 'Braking Fault' displayed on the dash, the 'Stop' sign coming on, the service light spanner icon and a beeping sound. All of this was intermittent but by the day I drove to my garage (having stopped using the car in the interim in case the brakes failed on me) it had coincidentally become permanent.

I suspected a brake fluid leak as the problem was intermittent and because the brake fluid had been changed only a month beforehand when the car was serviced - I wondered if the garage might have made a mistake. But I checked beneath the car for leaks and there were none, and I checked the brake fluid reservoir and it seemed OK (it was parked on a slight incline at the time so that did not help - I did not move it to level ground as I had convinced myself that I was wrong). The garage had told me that it was probably the brake pads that needed replacing.

It turned out to be low brake fluid. The garage replaced a split nipple, topped the fluid up and did not charge me.

The relevance is that if you can't get to a garage easily or quickly, and if the fault is intermittent, you could try topping up the brake fluid to see if that cures it.

A symptom, with hindsight, was that the alarm became more frequent after not using the car for a couple of days (while waiting for the appointment at the garage) - consistent with a fluid leak but inconsistent with brake wear as the car was not being used.

Of course, I can't say that this means your car is safe to drive if you top up the brake fluid.

I hope that this helps. I was very worried.
Currently in Coffeemonster's garage:
Scenic II

Last edited by Coffeemonster; 31st March 2015 at 12:19 PM.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome