Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - squeling from rear brakes

View Single Post
post #4 of (permalink) Old 11th August 2007
Veteran Member
Technical Supremo
Nominated 2 Times in 20 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 18
Thanked 1,103 Times in 942 Posts
Well,it must be your lucky day Moggy!

I got to work at 8.30 this morning(God I hate working Saturdays!) and waiting for me was a 2000 Renault Scenic which had been suffering from a squealing noise after being driven for a while......

I road tested it for a good 20 minutes,and nothing....then just as I got back to the workshop it started......a high pitched EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!.The noise dissapeared when you pulled the handbrake up one click or you dabbed the foot brake(does this sound familiar?)

When I removed the rear wheels,the rear discs and pads were shot,and after taking one of the calipers off I found that the pads were indeed seized into the carrier.The customer was visiting relatives for the weekend and was going back 'up country' on Monday,so we didn't get to carry out any repairs,but repacing the discs and pads and cleaning up the carriers would have remedied the problem.

I'd check your rear brakes asap,and if the discs and pads look OK,I'd remove the calipers and check the pads are free.It's an easy job to do,you just remove the two 13mm headed bolts and pull the caliper off.You'll also need a thin 17mm open ended spanner to hold the slides when you undo the two bolts.The pads should be free to move in the carrier,not tight.

If your discs and pads need replacing,then you'll need to swap the wheel bearings over into the new discs.This can be a bit of a pain and it is sometimes not possible to remove them without damaging them,so either buy a pair of new bearings just in case(you can return them if you don't use them) or buy discs which have the bearings already in them(more expensive,but much less hassle).

If you get a good independant garage to do the job,look at around an hours labour to free the pads off,or if they need replacing then budget around the £200-£300 pound mark depending on the garages hourly rate and wether you need new bearings or not.

Hope that helps and let us know how you get on.

I'd rather push my Alfa than drive a BMW....
Currently in Lagdti's garage:
2004 Saab 9-5 HOT Aero and a 2001 Audi A3 1.8 Turbo

Last edited by Lagdti; 11th August 2007 at 12:04 PM.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome