Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Almost conked out

View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 21st January 2006 Thread Starter
Banned User
Curveball Champion
Nominated 9 Times in 16 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 10
Thanked 3,511 Times in 2,879 Posts
Almost conked out

When I had had the Laguna 2 I also had a tow bar with dual caravan electrics fitted too by Renault, which until today I hadn’t even tried, so today I decided to give them a go.

I connected the twin electrics from the van switched on the fridge and tried all the lights everything inside and outside the van worked OK. BTW the engine was running on the car during this time.

While the van was still connected I got back into the car to turn the engine off, then I noticed the engine service light was on.

Turned off the engine, disconnected the caravan plugs, went to start the car again expecting the service light would go off now, all the dash warning lights came on so I pushed the start button, absolutely nothing, no electricity to the starter motor at all, every other electrical part on the car worked just fine, heads, sides indicators horn, well, just everything I tried.

I thought well, I’m not messing with it, so I telephoned Renault sales they said theres no mechanical teckies here, I found this understandable it was 3.40PM and Saturday. They said “Contact the AA you have complete cover in with the package of the car.”

I did this at 3.52 (JC ) at 4.05 the AA guy was with me testing the fuses then right out of the blue he asked “Did you put yer foot on the clutch when you pressed the start button” I said “No, I’ve never put me foot on the clutch before during start up” Guess what, he got in put his foot on the clutch, I think you know what’s coming next now, yes it started, nice guy he was OK about this. BTW the service light was still on, almost 15k on the clock, I know for a fact, that I’ve never put my foot on the clutch previously to get the engine running.

This leaves me wondering

Did the caravan electrics do something? The van BTW has been used on a number of other tow cars all negative earth, never a problem before.

Was the clutch / ignition switch not working correctly before? But by some strange coincidence it is now. Does anyone else with a 05 2.2 dCi have to depress the clutch on start up?

Also does anyone know what this service light that is still remaining on, is telling me? Other than the obvious, get it back to Renault PDQ

Cheer's for any help hondo
Currently in hondo's garage:
1.6 Valve-Matic SR. Red hot, toasty feet.

Last edited by hondo; 13th July 2006 at 09:29 PM. Reason: Odd fonts
  5 Lastest Threads by hondo
Thread Forum Last Poster Replies Views Last Post
Anyone fancy parting with £50k General Chat Alpineandy 4 316 16th February 2016 11:23 PM
Massive Zit General Chat Phil48 14 489 10th February 2016 12:26 PM
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome