Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Bodywork repair/replacement??

View Single Post
post #4 of (permalink) Old 15th August 2007
S.M.A.R.T.(y) Pants
Nominated 11 Times in 37 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 17
Thanked 2,467 Times in 1,851 Posts
Hi there, I would suggest many of the online salvage yards (although carriage costs can be high, and be sure that 'perfect' means just that).

Painting panels is fairly methodical, but best avoided if its either your first time, or you don't have indoor facilities.

Silvers can also be a problem to match (because they are so reflective) - not so bad for bumpers (as they have a natural 'break' between themselves, and the wing/bonnet), but the rest of the car usually needs blending in - which makes the repair area even larger.

Something else to consider is that there may be unseen damage to either the chassis or the steering/suspension alignment. This can often make a car uneconomic to repair.

Personally speaking, if the extent of this damage is so high, I'd be inclined to either go through the insurance or to get a bodyshop to do the job once the parts have been sourced secondhand by you. Either way, a professional will have the resources/equipment to hand to do the best job on a fairly new car.

Sorry to sound so pessimistic.

This job should never be complete - the day I think I've done it all, is the day I resign.

S.M.A.R.T. Technician
Currently in VelSatisfied's garage:
2005 FIAT Ducato 2.8JTD LWB Gran Volume, 2000 Kawasaki ZZR 1100 D7 'fullpower' in black + full GIVI & KAPPA luggage, 2007 MB R-Class 320 CDi Sport LWB uprated by Brabus to 300Bhp don't know if there's a 155mph limiter - will be fun finding out! 2004 Mercedes Vaneo 1.7 CDi Ambiente 7-seater
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome