Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - laguna electronic to manual conversion

View Single Post
post #3 of (permalink) Old 14th April 2015
Nominated 1 Time in 1 Post
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 1
Re: laguna electronic to manual conversion

I did the same conversion. My automatic handbrake was screwed up when the MOT guys applied the hand brake on rolling wheels and it just stayed on. The MOT failed and the car had to be uncerimoneously driven with back wheels dragging out of the MOT Centre. As no one at the MOT centre knew where the 'quick release' was, I had to make my way home and come back the next day. Even then, the quick release did not work so we had to uncouple the cable from the back brake on both wheels.

Once back home I took off the back brake unit, found the release wire was trapped under some metal. Released it and re-assembled it back on the car. The car however insisted there was still a brake error. I phoned the dealers they said for 65 they would reset something on the car computer so it would again 'talk' to the autobrake unit.
The earliest appointment (too late for me not to lose my MOT retest so had to apply and pay again for full test) was a bit away. I drove there however (40mile round trip) and after waiting about 2 hours was told it would cost 700 for a new brake unit.) Needless to say I didn't have that. I paid the 65 which in the end, just paid for them to tell me what I already knew -my brake didn't work) and left.

On the forum here all I heard was manual refit wasn't possible. However I decided, even if I have to make my own bespoke engineering, I WILL fit a manual hand brake. I went to a breakers yard that had the slightly older model of my 2006 Laguna 1.9 - even though it was a hatchback and mine was an estate, I bought
1. the center console
2. The handbrake lever
3. the cable itself
4. The pipe (sleeves) that the cable goes through under the carpet in the back

All for 50 EURO. My son and i fitted it in an afternoon. It did involve removing the passenger seat and lifting the carpet.
Having seen NOWHERE on the internet that said it could be done, and only finding posts that said it can't be done, all the while we were convinced that the next operation was going to be hard or impossible, but no, everything went well and worked fine.

The handbrake test was passed at the MOT test. They don't care what the dash says so long as the brake works.

Still my dash will tell me to 'apply handbrake' even when I'm traveling at 60MPH So yes that is a downer and like 'renorubbish' above I would like to get that turned off.

If I had my way I would also retro fit manual window winders, a rear key receiving lock to open the boot door (or a cable release lever for it mounted inside the back passenger door area - similar to how the bonnet is released - because when these things fail -and they do - there is no emergency manual way to open the boot door (with all your luggage in there) so as to get at your spare etc. and no way to put your window back up in the pouring rain after lowering it to pay your toll on a motorway at 2 AM.

I think ALL electronic devices should have an emergency manual override so you are never Locked in/out of your car or your car is left unprotected because you can't close the window. (you should be able to open the door and near the lock area there should be a fold-out winder to get the window back up again.

And what idiot decided that it was SOOOOO difficult to pull a handbrake!!!! that they installed a 700 gadget! This guy should just be taken out and . . . OK well, let's not shoot him. Let's force him to live with an 8 year old Renault and see how long he lasts with no handbrake, no window security, no boot access, failing AC and demister controls. I want to start a campaign - BRING BACK LEVERS! too many electric gadgets and just SOOOO unnecessary. Like I say, there should be an ethical decision made that you can only introduce an electronic method if there is also the ability to revert to the manual method.
I dread to think how you would get out of a car in a river if you are relying on the dodgy electronics controlling door locks these days.

Anyway; I'm keen to see if there is an answer about getting rid of the notice.
Currently in beevo's garage:
Renault Laguna Dynamique

Last edited by beevo; 14th April 2015 at 08:06 PM. Reason: Euro symbol did not print correctly
The Following User Says Thank You to beevo For This Useful Post:
TTT (15th April 2015)
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome