Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Is the damage worse than I thought??

View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 18th August 2007 Thread Starter
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Question Is the damage worse than I thought??

Ok, I'm not very mechanically minded so bear with me! I drive an 02 Laguna 1.8 Dynamique.
Couple of weeks ago I had an incident where a large steel bar fell off the back of a wagon infront of me whilst travelling at 60 mph (legally ) in the wet. I had 3 options...swerve left into a lane of traffic, swerve right into a barrier or hit the damn, I hit it and it went under both O/S wheels damaging the front alloy and bursting both tyres . With the 2 tyres gone I had no way of catching the git in the wagon to get details so an insurance claim was seeming futile and not wanting to lose my no claims for the sake of 2 tyres and a welding repair to the alloy I decided to swallow the cost.
With the wheel repaired and new tryes the Lag was back on the road with a nasty, tinny grinding sound. MOT was due in 2 weeks so took it to garage and it turned out to be the heatsheild on the brakes had gotten a bit mangled so it was straightened out and all was ok and the MOT was given. From what the garage could see all appeared ok. Tracking was done by ATS (as steering wheel was at 1 o'clock with front wheels straight) and from what they had seen they said all appeared ok. Happy days...or so I thought.
I have since noticed that the gap between the front bumper and O/S wing is wider than that on the near side, roughly 1/4 of an inch, although nothing is loose and all seems secure and the drivers door is slightly higher now than the drivers side passenger door, less than 1/4 of an inch but still noticeable. So now I'm thinking has the car sustained some structural damage that hasn't been picked up on? Does it need a closer, more specific inspection? I have 2 young kids and this is playing on my mind now due to the possible safety implications although a trip to Renault is not my most favourable option right now due to the cost as my bonnet release cable has now gone, although I don't think this is directly due to the impact as the bonnet has been opened several times since with no problem.
Any ideas what may be wrong? Could it be something serious and costly? All advice greatly appreciated...

Currently in Danny7276's garage:
2002 Renault Laguna Dynamique 1.8 16v
  5 Lastest Threads by Danny7276
Thread Forum Last Poster Replies Views Last Post
Lag II Phase I - Limp mode - Liverpool Electronics Danny7276 3 1087 20th January 2008 09:16 PM
Laguna - Petrol smell Engines Danny7276 8 2048 27th September 2007 04:24 PM
Is the damage worse than I thought?? Bodywork Danny7276 4 1259 18th August 2007 08:05 AM
Petrol problems... Engines davesss 6 1509 23rd December 2006 07:10 AM
Laguna Number plate light problem... Electronics bpowell555 5 5394 29th October 2006 12:50 AM
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome